Home Page
Posts > Outputting directory contents in PHP
Posts > Outputting directory contents in PHP
Search:
RABiD BUNNY FEVER
K.T.K

Warning: you do not have javascript enabled. This WILL cause layout glitches.
Outputting directory contents in PHP
Rebuilding the wheel
Time: 07/06/08 11:24:29 pm
Tags: PHP [19], Examples [78]
Most relevent 4 of 81 posts with shared tags:
A friend just asked me to write a PHP function to list all the contents of a directory and its sub-directories.
Nothing special here... just a simple example piece of code and boredom...
function ListContents($DirName)
{
	print '<ul>';
	$dir=opendir($DirName);
	while($file=readdir($dir))
		if($file!='.' && $file!='..')
		{
			$FilePath="$DirName/$file";
			$IsDir=is_dir($FilePath);
			print "<li>$file [".($IsDir ? 'D' : number_format(filesize($FilePath), 0, '.', ',')).']';
			if($IsDir)
				ListContents($FilePath);
			print '</li>';
		}
	closedir($dir);
	print '</ul>';
}
It wouldn’t be a bad idea to turn off PHP’s “output buffering” and on “implicit flush” when running something like this for larger directories.
Example output for “ListContents('c:\\temp');”:
  • A.BMP [230]
  • Dir1 [D]
    • codeblocks-1.0rc2_mingw.exe [13,597,181]
    • Dir1a [D]
      • DEBUGUI.C [25,546]
  • Dir2 [D]
    • Dir3 [D]
      • HW.C [12,009]
      • INIFILE.C [9,436]
    • NTDETECT.COM [47,564]


    I decided to make it a little nicer afterwards by bolding the directories, adding their total size, and changing sizes to a human readable format. This function is a lot more memory intensive because it holds data in strings instead of immediately outputting.
    function HumanReadableSize($Size)
    {
    	$MetricSizes=Array('Bytes', 'KB', 'MB', 'GB', 'TB');
    	for($SizeOn=0;$Size>=1024 && $SizeOn<count($MetricSizes)-1;$SizeOn++) //Loops until Size is < a binary thousand (1,024) or we have run out of listed Metric Sizes
    		$Size/=1024;
    	return preg_replace('/\\.?0+$/', '', number_format($Size, 2, '.', ',')).' '.$MetricSizes[$SizeOn]; //Forces to a maximum of 2 decimal places, adds comma at thousands place, appends metric size
    }
    
    function ListContents2($DirName, &$RetSize)
    {
    	$Output='<ul>';
    	$dir=opendir($DirName);
    	$TotalSize=0;
    	while($file=readdir($dir))
    		if($file!='.' && $file!='..')
    		{
    			$FilePath="$DirName/$file";
    			if(is_dir($FilePath)) //Is directory
    			{
    				$DirContents=ListContents2($FilePath, $DirSize);
    				$Output.="<li><b>$file</b> [".HumanReadableSize($DirSize)."]$DirContents</li>";
    				$TotalSize+=$DirSize;
    			}
    			else //Is file
    			{
    				$FileSize=filesize($FilePath);
    				$Output.="<li>$file [".HumanReadableSize($FileSize).']</li>';
    				$TotalSize+=$FileSize;
    			}
    		}
    	closedir($dir);
    	$RetSize=$TotalSize;
    	$Output.='</ul>';
    	return $Output;
    }
    
    Example output for “print ListContents2('c:\\temp', $Dummy);”:
    • A.BMP [230 Bytes]
    • Dir1 [12.99 MB]
      • codeblocks-1.0rc2_mingw.exe [12.97 MB]
      • Dir1a [24.95 KB]
        • DEBUGUI.C [24.95 KB]
    • Dir2 [0 Bytes]
      • Dir3 [20.94 KB]
        • HW.C [11.73 KB]
        • INIFILE.C [9.21 KB]
      • NTDETECT.COM [46.45 KB]


      The memory problem can be rectified through a little extra IO by calculating the size of a directory before its contents is listed, thereby not needing to keep everything in a string.
      function CalcDirSize($DirName)
      {
      	$dir=opendir($DirName);
      	$TotalSize=0;
      	while($file=readdir($dir))
      		if($file!='.' && $file!='..')
      			$TotalSize+=(is_dir($FilePath="$DirName/$file") ? CalcDirSize($FilePath) :  filesize($FilePath));
      	closedir($dir);
      	return $TotalSize;
      }
      
      function ListContents3($DirName)
      {
      	print '<ul>';
      	$dir=opendir($DirName);
      	$TotalSize=0;
      	while($file=readdir($dir))
      		if($file!='.' && $file!='..')
      		{
      			$FilePath="$DirName/$file";
      			$IsDir=is_dir($FilePath);
      			$FileSize=($IsDir ? CalcDirSize($FilePath) : filesize($FilePath));
      			$TotalSize+=$FileSize;
      			print '<li>'.($IsDir ? '<b>' : '').$file.($IsDir ? '</b>' : '').' ['.HumanReadableSize($FileSize).']';
      			if($IsDir) //Is directory
      				$TotalSize+=ListContents3($FilePath);
      			print '</li>';
      		}
      	closedir($dir);
      	print '</ul>';
      }
      
      Example output: for “ListContents3('c:\\temp');”:
      • A.BMP [230 Bytes]
      • Dir1 [12.99 MB]
        • codeblocks-1.0rc2_mingw.exe [12.97 MB]
        • Dir1a [24.95 KB]
          • DEBUGUI.C [24.95 KB]
      • Dir2 [0 Bytes]
        • Dir3 [20.94 KB]
          • HW.C [11.73 KB]
          • INIFILE.C [9.21 KB]
        • NTDETECT.COM [46.45 KB]


        Of course, after all this, my friend took the original advice I gave him before writing any of this code, which was that using bash commands might get him to his original goal much easier.

        Comments
        To add comments, please go to the forum page for this post (guest comments are allowed for the Projects, Posts, and Updates Forums).
        Comments are owned by the user who posted them. We accept no responsibility for the contents of these comments.

        No comments for this Post