Sasami's Ragnarok World Forums
Register | Login | Logout | Edit profile | Avatars
Views: 410016
Main | Memberlist | Member pages | Online users
Ranks | Chat | New Chat | FAQ | Search | Photo album
05-01-24 03:54 PM
Sasami's Ragnarok World Forums (LOCKED) - General Discussion - Hmm, overrating? |
Pages: 1 2Next newer thread | Next older thread
User

Goddess in Training

Since: 02-18-02
Rating: 10 (1030 pts)

Since last post: 7363 days
Last activity: 7363 days
Posted on 05-19-02 03:56 AMQuote | Edit | Delete
Originally posted by Arsenic
Originally posted by Sasami
I very muched enjoyed the whole LotR series except most of book 3 (first half of two towers). The hobbits walking through the desert with nothing really going on is not my idea of enjoyable reading

You mean book 4 (Tome 2 -The Two Towers -, second part), the book 3 is when there is the huge battle near Orthanc. But yeah, I agree that the part where the hobbits wander and find their way toward Mordor is a bit boring. Yet, it's sure more interesting than the walk in the haunted forest with Tom Bombadil! Glad they cut this part in the movie

Anyway, I think you will enjoy TTT if you like actions, considering the huge battle I was talking about will last 50 minutes :p

Really? that was book 4?... hm... i have a bad memory and i thought tom bombadil was cool! :-p

[edit] tolkien goes into bombadil much deeper in other books, you just have to grasp how old he really is and what he really knows...

(edited by Sasami on 05-18-02 10:58 PM)
Ecthelion de la Fontaine

Since: 04-25-02

Since last post: 7999 days
Last activity: 7875 days
Posted on 05-19-02 04:33 AMQuote | Edit | Delete
First off, it's 'libido'

Secondly, how can you compare Ep2 to FoTR? Worse still, you think that the books are equally enjoyable. LoTR is the standard by which all fantasy novels are judged, and none have come close to the detail, scope, and storytelling of it(George R R Martin's Fire and Ice has reasonable storytelling, but not the scope; Robert Jordan's WoT series is just another boring meandering story)

Read the Silmarillion if you want to be able to really understand the world of LoTR

Lucas has always been very poor on story and characters, a prime example being Mark Hamill as Luke Skywalker. You'll be hard-pressed to find a more wooden performance by a leading actor in a top-grossing movie(unless it's Tom Cruise).

Take a good look past the flashing lightsabers and you'll see nothing more than another action movie primed for commercial exploitation
Vandule

Since: 05-10-02

Since last post: 7900 days
Last activity: 7897 days
Posted on 05-19-02 07:05 AMQuote | Edit | Delete
Originally posted by Makoto
Minsc completely ruled!
he was just sooooo cool

I never liked having a crazy person in my party it just didn't work...but boo almost made up for it.
SlymShady

Since: 05-17-02

Since last post: 8009 days
Last activity: 8009 days
Posted on 05-19-02 07:18 AMQuote | Edit | Delete
Anyone watched spiderman?
Doomcraft

Since: 04-28-02

Since last post: 7984 days
Last activity: 7972 days
Posted on 05-19-02 10:59 AMQuote | Edit | Delete
They should do a BG movie, a big one, if it could have the producers from Lotr then it would be even better.

*imagines minsc and boo kicking butt on a giant cinema screen..*

mmhmmm, butt kicking for goodness!

--------------------
And once again our friend, and semi-hero posts again....

Makoto

Since: 02-19-02

Since last post: 7771 days
Last activity: 7758 days
Posted on 05-19-02 11:29 AMQuote | Edit | Delete
Originally posted by Vandule
Originally posted by Makoto
Minsc completely ruled!
he was just sooooo cool

I never liked having a crazy person in my party it just didn't work...but boo almost made up for it.

i LOVE having a crazy person in my party
he's also almost permanetly happy, and only goes out of that when he goes mad, and he only does that for good reasons
if i knew somone in RL like that he'd deffinatly be a friend , he lightens up the mood , well, he does for me anyway, makes me laugh as well as being a jolly goodness fellow
Advent

Since: 05-19-02

Since last post: 8018 days
Last activity: 8016 days
Posted on 05-19-02 02:25 PMQuote | Edit | Delete
Starwars sucks, period.

--------------------
Wisdom is knowing what to do next; Virtue is doing it.

Sasami

Goddess in Training

Posted on 05-19-02 02:54 PMQuote | Edit | Delete
Originally posted by Advent
Starwars sucks, period.

you suck

(edited by Sasami on 05-19-02 09:54 AM)
Insante

Since: 03-25-02

Since last post: 7988 days
Last activity: 7940 days
Posted on 05-19-02 11:05 PMQuote | Edit | Delete
My whole take on this thread?

Movies are great, but give me a good book any day!

--------------------
[url="http://www.sluggy.com"][/url] [url="http://www.tagstrance.com"][/url][url="http://www.tagstrance.com/128k.pls"]Get entranced.[/url]
Makoto

Posted on 05-20-02 01:14 AMQuote | Edit | Delete
heh, forget books and films, games are way better, they can be both a book and a film at the same time!! as well as being interactive
Jaide

Since: 05-06-02

Since last post: 8015 days
Last activity: 7979 days
Posted on 05-21-02 02:29 PMQuote | Edit | Delete
^~ Books are sugoi and games are sugoi too depending on the game... I tend to stick to RPGs, strategy, and space/flight sims... FPS never really did it for me... but I like books so I can get away from the computer for a while

^^

--------------------
Smile Smile ^^
Vargasan

Since: 05-03-02

Since last post: 8015 days
Last activity: 8016 days
Posted on 05-21-02 02:32 PMQuote | Edit | Delete
Hsien-ko says:
Starwars sucks, period.

you suck

Must mean that I suck, too.
Wheeee *sucks*

--------------------
Kyokushin-ka

Since: 05-02-02

Since last post: 7951 days
Last activity: 7984 days
Posted on 05-21-02 05:15 PMQuote | Edit | Delete
The only reason why people like star wars is because it was the first "good" sci-fi film ever. Before star wars, if you were a sci-fi fanatic, you were stuck with little UFO's off of strings bouncing around on the screen. When movie fans first saw star wars they were literaly blown away by the Special Effects. Nowadays the only reason why kids these days watch it is because either their parents sit them down and make them watch it till they say "yes I like it" or they feel nostalagic, or they know that there is worse crap that can be found on video or in theatres, trust me...I know about the last one quite well. Honestly no movie in the star wars saga could ever rate in my top favorate movies in all time that I would have trouble picking between, it would be a toss up between The Thirteenth Warrior and Fellowship of the Ring. Bad movies, no--unless you are speaking of Episode I--The Best movies they ain't either. Good books made off of the sieries--YES definetly. So no matter how hard we try the Star Wars Universe is a part of our pop culture and it will be for a while, That's the part of star wars that most people like or are facinated with.
Makoto

Posted on 05-21-02 05:59 PMQuote | Edit | Delete
im tempted to agree with Kyokushin-ka, star wars was still ok, there just not my fav, heh

eerm, Jaide, whats sugoi mean? heh
and my fav games are RPG's and strategy, FPS are ok, but sports are boring, lol
adventure games are cool too
Chibi-Bar

Since: 04-16-02
Rating: 10 (400 pts)

Since last post: 7455 days
Last activity: 7412 days
Posted on 05-21-02 08:22 PMQuote | Edit | Delete
it is all matter of personal taste

Star Wars = Sci-fi base movie..
LoTR = Fantasy base (of course it would be interesting to see Gandalf with a lightsabre hehe)

two different Genre type movies.. both are very good the eps 2 box office didn't do to well vs Spiderman (would that be Sci-fi base?) in 1st week opening... but I still think it is a good movie.. there are lots of question answer and yet more unanswered woo... also it is neat to see all those jedi fight and get killed (well.. it just prove that being a jedi is not ALL powerful) hehe

The Two Towers is a long read, but I'm sure the interesting part will be in a movie.. you only have 2-3 hours to fill ^^; I have to agree that the "Return of the King" will be an interesting movie to see.. I can't wait.

--------------------
Chibi-Bar
Your Local Merchant on Chaos/Loki
Sasami

Goddess in Training

Posted on 05-21-02 08:37 PMQuote | Edit | Delete
Originally posted by Vargasan
Starwars sucks, period.

you suck

Must mean that I suck, too.
Wheeee *sucks*

It's perfectly fine for people to say they dislike a movie or something, everyone has their own opinion, but when you are saying your opinion is the only valid one "period", well then, I usually return a statement back at them to that degree...
Chibi-Bar

Since: 04-16-02
Rating: 10 (400 pts)

Since last post: 7455 days
Last activity: 7412 days
Posted on 05-21-02 08:38 PMQuote | Edit | Delete
here here!

not everyone have the same type of taste for movies or anything.. if everyone did have the same taste... there wouldn't be variety!

--------------------
Chibi-Bar
Your Local Merchant on Chaos/Loki
Makoto

Posted on 05-21-02 08:40 PMQuote | Edit | Delete
yes, variety is the spice of life as they say , life would probably be a bit boring if everyone was carbon copies of each other, lol
whitequeen

Since: 05-05-02

Since last post: 7997 days
Last activity: 7955 days
Posted on 05-23-02 01:13 AMQuote | Edit | Delete
Couple of things about episode poo

I thought it was a halfway decent movie. A little slow in the beginning, and DEFINITELY too long to have to sit through. The last third woke me up, however, and I enjoyed myself for those 45 minutes or so.

Here's a couple of things my friends and I didn't quite understand about the movie, or just didn't like.

Ok

#1, the jedi seemed awfully weak. These are people who have been trained to use the force and to be warriors and "keepers of the peace" since childhood. They have lightsabers and force powers. Why are they reduced to cannon fodder? Droids beat the snot out of them. Jango Fett beats the snot out of them. These aren't the best of the best. These are just a bunch of grunts with glowing weapons.

#2. The force is not with them. No use of force powers used at all. They use squat for force powers. When I played Jedi Knight 2, I used more force powers than they did. What did I see in terms of force usage? Force pull, to pick up a dropped lightsaber. Force jump by Obi-wan. Jedi Mind Trick for some stupid cigarette seller in Coruscant. It bugs me that these jedi (back to #1) have no use of force powers. Remember when Jango Fett is firing at the guy next to count Dookie? The jedi blocks a few shots and falls down and goes splat. Now if I were a jedi and could do all sorts of interesting force leaps and whatnot... a little fall shouldn't hurt me, right?

#3. Why the heck were the jedi sent in to begin with? What the heck was Yoda thinking? "1.2 million clone troopers I have, yes. Use them I will not. Allow token force of jedi to die I will before getting off my green muppet hiney and using them to win the battle".

And, the biggest dissappointment of them all:

WHINAKIN SKYTALKER. I hate him. Oh, yes, I abhor Whinakin. All he does the entire movie is complain complain complain. If it isn't whining about being a jedi, it's whining about padme, or it's whining about his mom which turns out to be whining about being a jedi again. There is no point where he does NOT shut up, except when it isn't *really* him and it's some stunt double.

After watching episode poo, I have reached a conclusion. There are at least two types of evil. There's the strong, confident, anti-heroish badass evil, like Darth Vader. And there's the annoying, whining, makes-you-want-to-stab-them evil, like rob schneider and whinakin skywalker. I pray that in episode 3, whinakin undergoes a sharp transformation, since I can only hope that Obi-Wan rips him a new one for being such a brat.

--Em
Pages: 1 2Next newer thread | Next older thread
Sasami's Ragnarok World Forums (LOCKED) - General Discussion - Hmm, overrating? |
Edit/move/close/delete thread

Sasami's Ragnarok World

AcmlmBoard v1.7
© 2000-2001 Acmlm

Page rendered in 0.012 seconds.