Sasami's Ragnarok World Forums
Register | Login | Logout | Edit profile | Avatars
Views: 410016
Main | Memberlist | Member pages | Online users
Ranks | Chat | New Chat | FAQ | Search | Photo album
04-28-24 03:15 PM
Sasami's Ragnarok World Forums (LOCKED) - General Discussion - Gravity gets it right: rollback |
Next newer thread | Next older thread
User

Since: 05-03-02

Since last post: 7981 days
Last activity: 7880 days
Posted on 05-27-02 08:36 AMQuote | Edit | Delete

Hello this is Ragnarok Online Oepration Team.
Due to some unavoidable circumstances.
We are going to rollback English Server Today.
The precise time for going back to the past is
May 23.07:00 am(Korean standard time)
We apologise that we cause you inconvenience to use English service.
Thank yoy for your cooperation.
And At this moment we are going to shut the server down
for rollback.Please leave as soon as possible.
Tahnk you.

Yes, this'll be all over the sites in a bit, but I felt like posting it anyway That was the verbatim (chat log) message that was given on Loki, fwiw.

· Raveus

(edited by Raveus on 05-27-02 03:42 AM)
Mental Atrophy

Since: 05-14-02

Since last post: 7997 days
Last activity: 7947 days
Posted on 05-27-02 09:13 AMQuote | Edit | Delete
why must they roll back that far, i lost a lot of legitimate items and lvls damnit! hell, i think i'll entirely lose a merchant i got to lvl 17 for vending.
Raveus

Posted on 05-27-02 09:33 AMQuote | Edit | Delete
Yes, this should probably just be added to that first post, but I feel it deserves to remain seperate. Quite frankly, I'm relieved and overjoyed. I felt, as I know some others did, that gravity was likely just going to let the events of this weekend go, and that the economy, such as it remained with bots and the after effects of other duping instances, would be completely shot for all practical purposes.

But, I'm glad... I made a five million zeny bet against gravity... and I won, because it's getting erased after all. Just as well... I didn't want it, since the only way I would have even felt close to ok using it would have been only for pots, and I already have enough zeny for leveling myself as it is, from merchant sales and drops. I was thinking of buying items for friends with it, if I didn't just save it in case I got completely fed up with things, but I'm not sure many of them would have accepted if it came from that... not the /friends/ I have, anyway. The one thing I did know was that if /I/ started using it, I would quit within the week. As pointless as a video game may or may not be, using something like that reduces it to dirt, imo.

And, in a way, that's why I made that bet... it might not mean anything to gravity, but if I had kept that 5 mil, I probably WOULD have eventually gotten fed up, used it, and quit... something that none of the uses of exploits by anyone else is likely to do, in the immediate future, anyway. Indeed, something that even a server wipe before the introduction of at least reasonably secure servers would not do. Before you second guess me on that, trust me, I know. I played (the original) diablo, afterall... and if using exploits that were needed just to be able to play multiplayer without getting royally screwed over was enough to get me to quit, I think I know that this would have been as well.

So, yes, this is good.

I'm sure some of you are going to be pissed off about not getting tons of duped stuff for free, and I'd like to hear about it. It's nice to know who I don't really want to play with.

As to legitimate levels, zeny, and items... *shrugs* for one thing, I think anyone who played over the past day should have at least been cognizant of the possibility of a rollback. As to why it's going back that far... *shrugs* at least it's not a full week, or longer It's a beta... at least they are keeping backups more than for just the start of the week and the start of the month. I'm still hoping for a complete wipe on the day they finally do something about the bots... and even then I wouldn't mind another right before final. A few hundred total levels, a few mil in zeny and assets, but, you know... it's not the numbers... it's getting there.

· Raveus
Mental Atrophy

Posted on 05-27-02 09:57 AMQuote | Edit | Delete
Playing over the last 2 days, yes, i realized there was a great chance of a rollback to where it was when the servers got screwed up. My ownly gripe is with the fact that they're rolling back to a day or 2 before the servers went to hell. I may be wrong though, they may have been screwed up before i knew about it, and if that's so then i wont be as frustrated. Nothing i can do about it anyway, except go back to leveling like usual. I didnt pick up any of the duped crap, i didnt get anything at all from in town. I was trapped in pyramids with a bunch of other high lvl chars who dont care much for the cheating either.
Other question is, why rollback? They aren't going to fix the problems, so the same crap will happen as soon as they open the server again. Not the huge widespread item dropping, but i bet at least 15% of the merchants out there selling rares like brooches and gloves have probably got duped stuff that was either sold to them or duped by themselves. If you dont like having 5million zeny and several rares illegitimately gained, make a crap char and deal the money/items to him and delete the char. Easy as that, no more money/items.
Oh well... i know you, Raveus, in-game somewhat, from my earlier golden thief bug rapin days.... I'm not trying to argue with you really, just expressing my thoughts on the subject.
Raveus

Posted on 05-27-02 10:18 AMQuote | Edit | Delete
For one thing, there's not really a good way to do a selective rollback, even if you have login logs. Hence, if it's big enough to rollback anyone, it's generally big enough to rollback everyone, before final anyway. Especially when most of the players who you would want to rollback are probably not too happy about it.

As to why it's going back so far... I could make some guesses, but I won't. Frankly, it's much like the people who think gravity "owes" them something, when they're playing a free beta that isn't really helping gravity in the US by anything I can see (one can argue marketing, but even to that I would say they'd probably be just as well off--if not better--in that regard if they waited until closer to final before having an open US beta). Backups cost money to run and maintain. Usually they're performed in a staggered fashion... say, 1 each of the past 3 hours, 1 each of the past 3 days, 1 each of the past 3 weeks, and 1 each of the past 3 months. Not necessarily exactly that, but something of that fashion. The less resources you want to devote to backups, the more spread out that gets. Given it's a beta, I don't think we're really getting short changed all that much.

As to why I even bothered throwing the dice in the first place... well, as I said, I would probably still keep trucking along if I didn't have something that would really push me out of the game. Essentially, sooner or later, I was forcing myself to quit, with one of the few things that I could do without necessarily knowing the outcome, but which WOULD make me quit if it was left there. Since, to my mind, it would probably be about time to quit until there was a wipe if it was left there. Bots, exploits, and relatively isolated forced exploit duping I can ignore, but this was a bit... much. No, it probably doesn't make sense to anyone but me

· Raveus

(edited by Raveus on 05-27-02 05:19 AM)
Sasami

Goddess in Training

Since: 02-18-02
Rating: 10 (1030 pts)

Since last post: 7360 days
Last activity: 7360 days
Posted on 05-27-02 02:42 PMQuote | Edit | Delete
It's a game, you arn't paying for it, they will reset before final.

(edited by Sasami on 05-27-02 09:42 AM)
Raveus

Posted on 05-27-02 06:05 PMQuote | Edit | Delete
Originally posted by Sasami
It's a game, you arn't paying for it, they will reset before final.

I wish more ppl would listen to that... would give me some relative peace and quiet to level in and test things out

At the same time, it's nice to know that they aren't just letting the US beta run /completely/ wild, despite the fact that it's already rather screwed with the bots and various exploits. And, I agree... there's no way we're going to see final without a reset, at this point.

· Raveus
Talien

Since: 05-08-02

Last activity: 7981 days
Posted on 05-27-02 11:12 PMQuote | Edit | Delete
I'm glad they're doing a rollback, I was hoping for one since I heard about the idiots going around duping tons of rares and stuff. Heh, hopefully when Gravity gets around to doing a wipe it'll cause some of those lamers to quit.

--------------------

Member of Prontera Parish
Mental Atrophy

Posted on 05-27-02 11:18 PMQuote | Edit | Delete
Ahh... i forgot about the backup frequencies... i bet they dont do backups but once a week or so, that would explain that.
ParA

Since: 05-25-02

Since last post: 7556 days
Last activity: 7812 days
Posted on 05-28-02 10:47 PMQuote | Edit | Delete
didnt they say that gravity will attempt to keep beta data to the final version? well i saw it on the free bbs........

--------------------
I shall not be denied.
Sasami

Goddess in Training

Since: 02-18-02
Rating: 10 (1030 pts)

Since last post: 7360 days
Last activity: 7360 days
Posted on 05-29-02 12:53 AMQuote | Edit | Delete
that's what they said, it's not going to happen. they lie alot for PR sake.
ParA

Posted on 05-29-02 01:17 AMQuote | Edit | Delete
thats true. its hard to tell since the Koreans (no offense) do not have much of a large volcabulary. They mightve mistaken the meaning of one word for another. Remember what Joe The Dude translated? Man, that was confusing as hell. Christy almost made it sound like that Loki and Chaos was going down.

--------------------
I shall not be denied.
Raveus

Posted on 05-29-02 02:26 AMQuote | Edit | Delete
Originally posted by ParA
didnt they say that gravity will attempt to keep beta data to the final version? well i saw it on the free bbs........

That was said in a chat log which at this point is months old... and it was also said in the context of a question about the korean servers getting wiped, iirc. I don't remember the exact phrasing, but I do believe that that part of the chat basically went along the lines of saying that the koreans were getting wiped because of rampant exploits and issues, and that the english beta would not be wiped as things stood at the time. I always understood it to mean that if e-beta got bad, our "guarantee" of not getting wiped was gone. I don't have a copy of the log, and I'm not going to search for one, but if it really interests you, you should be able to find it somewhere, or get someone to dig up a copy.

As to things involving Joe the Dude... if you're talking about his "clearing up" what had been announced about beta 2, then I don't see what the issue was. He took something relatively straight forward, and turned it into a mess. I'm not saying gravity is always perfect... far from it... but, frankly, Joe's an egotistic moron who spent some time putting together a decent site, nothing more. I'm not sure I completely believe gravity/christy's account of what led to Joe acting all hurt for the 200th time and pulling his site, but I sure as hell know I don't believe Joe.

· Raveus
ParA

Posted on 05-29-02 03:03 AMQuote | Edit | Delete
No, I didn't mean that. I meant his translations. To be honest, I misintrepeted what Christy said until Joe The Dude actually made it understandable. If you read what Christy wrote on the servers, I bet you would be confused as well.

As for the wipe, my tone meant I wasn't clear of the situation. However, time will tell.

--------------------
I shall not be denied.
Raveus

Posted on 05-29-02 04:47 AMQuote | Edit | Delete
Originally posted by ParA
No, I didn't mean that. I meant his translations. To be honest, I misintrepeted what Christy said until Joe The Dude actually made it understandable. If you read what Christy wrote on the servers, I bet you would be confused as well.

As for the wipe, my tone meant I wasn't clear of the situation. However, time will tell.

As to actual translations... I didn't frequent eroite, but it was my understanding that actual korean -> english translations were done by someone other than joe himself... as was the case with quite a bit of the content on the site. Maybe I missed whichever announcement you're talking about, or it was different on chaos, because I've never had trouble at least getting the general meaning out of what Christy says, and recognizing parts that are probably language... peculiarities.

eh, I know, I wasn't trying to sound harsh or anything, merely pointing out that it's from a chat log, and it should be available somewhere, you'll just have to go digging a bit. Other than that, I am aware of no other instances in which gravity made any comments about not wiping english beta before final. Aye, time will tell... but frankly I'm expecting a full wipe myself, or at the very least item wipes and perhaps a new server to start fresh on. I'd prefer a full wipe, personally.

· Raveus
Next newer thread | Next older thread
Sasami's Ragnarok World Forums (LOCKED) - General Discussion - Gravity gets it right: rollback |
Edit/move/close/delete thread

Sasami's Ragnarok World

AcmlmBoard v1.7
© 2000-2001 Acmlm

Page rendered in 0.012 seconds.