Sasami's Ragnarok World Forums
Register | Login | Logout | Edit profile | Avatars
Views: 410016
Main | Memberlist | Member pages | Online users
Ranks | Chat | New Chat | FAQ | Search | Photo album
04-29-24 08:27 AM
Sasami's Ragnarok World Forums (LOCKED) - General Discussion - is there a max cap on patch size? |
Next newer thread | Next older thread
User

Since: 03-25-02

Since last post: 7715 days
Last activity: 7715 days
Posted on 06-04-02 01:06 PMQuote | Edit | Delete
I'm not sure about it, but all patch seems to have a max size on about 650 Kb.
I was thinking, can it be possible that the patch server can't upload more then that per patch and Gravity most there for break up an update into severel patches?

just a theory.

why doppel posting? I thought the thread would disapper completly when deleted.

--------------------
Elmikie, Spell artist, Path of Pearl, Stratika, keeper of guild lore and current leader of the Vezrejai mage guild.
Makoto

Since: 02-19-02

Since last post: 7769 days
Last activity: 7756 days
Posted on 06-04-02 03:44 PMQuote | Edit | Delete
its seems not, i think the thread is a seperate entity to the post within, even the first post, i can delete the thread if you want
DaiSHi

Since: 05-03-02
Rating: 10 (400 pts)

Since last post: 7361 days
Last activity: 7361 days
Posted on 06-04-02 04:25 PMQuote | Edit | Delete
don't worry, i got it
sorry, just had to try out that smiley

--------------------
Loki: DaiSHi, H.O.L.Y.Merchant, Robbin'Hood
47/34 swordman, OC merc, 37/27 Thief
Tillumni Sephirotica

Posted on 06-04-02 08:32 PMQuote | Edit | Delete
okay, problem solved then, well back to topic, anybody know if there is a max Kb upload per patch?, because that would explain why no patch is large then about 650 Kb.

--------------------
Elmikie, Spell artist, Path of Pearl, Stratika, keeper of guild lore and current leader of the Vezrejai mage guild.
Chibi-Bar

Since: 04-16-02
Rating: 10 (400 pts)

Since last post: 7453 days
Last activity: 7410 days
Posted on 06-04-02 08:48 PMQuote | Edit | Delete
from the looks of it.. it just patch the .exe file while I personally believe that either Gravity is just "tweaking" the internal software client side to do different things. I personally don't like that the client side have a lot of "power" that would explain the hack and cheats (RPS for example) personally I don't think there has been an major upgrade like izlude patch.

--------------------
Chibi-Bar

Your Local Merchant on Chaos/Loki
Mental Atrophy

Since: 05-14-02

Since last post: 7998 days
Last activity: 7948 days
Posted on 06-04-02 11:45 PMQuote | Edit | Delete
All the client is really supposed to be is a way to communicate with the server to read things for translation to grafix, stats, etc. to display; send out our input back to the server; and do as many checks as possible to lighten the load on the server. Unfortunately, a LOT of checks that need to be server side are client side from what i can tell (or they used to be). That seems to be how quite a few hacks were made, ie: adding points to skills that have a prereq using packet editing(correct me if i'm wrong there). The client doesnt allow you to do that, but the server has no check for it, so if it gets the right packets it says ok.
This program has a lot of problems that can be fixed in 1 day if they just sat down with Sasami's list and went through recoding/adding checks/adding error handlers. Oh well... i'm done complaining now since i'm too lazy to do anything major in the way of constructive programming for this game i cant complain too much

whoops, forgot to put my thoughts about the actual topic, only replied to chibi lol.
The patches do seem to be limited to ~650kb, possibly a limit of the patch server for file sends? Or their automated patcher can only handle files <650kb.

(edited by Mental Atrophy on 06-04-02 06:47 PM)
Tillumni Sephirotica

Posted on 06-05-02 02:05 AMQuote | Edit | Delete
No idea why, but I figured that there had to be a reason for gravity to end a patch that's bugged and then send out a patch within hours that fixes it, sorta like doing the programming in steps, eksampel
patch 1 add new effect, but not the visualitation, game is bugged,
patch 2 add the visualitation, game work again, new update finished. just a thought

--------------------
Sironin

Since: 05-17-02

Since last post: 7935 days
Last activity: 7619 days
Posted on 06-05-02 08:45 PMQuote | Edit | Delete
no, patches are not limited to 650kb. I recall getting a patch of 666kb. It may have been patch 103 or 105. I don't remember which. Not a significant difference, I admit, but I would more likely say that they seem to prefer keeping the patches small. Theoretically I suppose they could have made the Izlude patch available on their patch server, but the server would, likely, not have been able to handle the number of users hitting it for a large file.

I guess the concept is to move the patches along fast enough so that the patch server doesn't get overloaded/crash since it serves multiple servers.
Next newer thread | Next older thread
Sasami's Ragnarok World Forums (LOCKED) - General Discussion - is there a max cap on patch size? |
Edit/move/close/delete thread

Sasami's Ragnarok World

AcmlmBoard v1.7
© 2000-2001 Acmlm

Page rendered in 0.008 seconds.