Sasami's Ragnarok World Forums
Register | Login | Logout | Edit profile | Avatars
Views: 410016
Main | Memberlist | Member pages | Online users
Ranks | Chat | New Chat | FAQ | Search | Photo album
04-29-24 04:33 PM
Sasami's Ragnarok World Forums (LOCKED) - General Discussion - Artists Needed! |
Pages: 1 2 3Next newer thread | Next older thread
User

Since: 04-26-02

Since last post: 7832 days
Last activity: 7845 days
Posted on 06-04-02 03:14 PMQuote | Edit | Delete
Well, for those of you who didn't know..I've been developing a MMORPG of my own for about the past month. The server (alpha stage) is ready, and now comes the part I can't do...I need graphics. I would really prefer to go 3D with textures for armor, hats, clothing etc. Keep in mind, I can't promise any money. If I ever do decide to publish the game for a profit, those who helped would recieve free accounts for life, and of corse their names will be mentioned in the credits. If anyone is at all interested, e-mail (roemmeler@yahoo.com) me or post on my forum (www26.brinkster.com/pragma7/). As far as formats, I can take 3D in .3ds, .X, or .obj (with the accompanying material files if needed)...Textures must be in .bmp format. Anyone that's good with sound/music can help out too...Sound bits should be in .wav or .midi format, and large music bits should be .midi (or if it's really high quality, go .wav). I know for a fact I can blow Ragnarok out of the water, I personally think their attempts are pathetic. Sasami, if you would perhaps consider instead of trying to serve up their alpha, join me in the creation of a new MMORPG of a higher caliber.

Hope to hear from you all soon,
Rob

EDIT:
If absolutly necesary, I can use .RAW for textures as well....Show me your creations...fonts, characters, objects, trees, landscapes...let's get this rolling, eh?

(edited by pragma7 on 06-04-02 10:16 AM)
Makoto

Since: 02-19-02

Since last post: 7769 days
Last activity: 7756 days
Posted on 06-04-02 03:48 PMQuote | Edit | Delete
i'd love to help, but sadly i have only promming knowledge at this time, id like to lern more about making 3D object and textures, but i dont even have a siutable package, such as 3D studio max yet, heh
i'll see if i can get my hamds on a copy and fiddle about with it and see if im any good
if you do need any programming help tho i'd be happy to chip in, altho Sasami's better then me at that, lol
pragma7

Posted on 06-04-02 05:30 PMQuote | Edit | Delete
I probably will, eventually. I will be doing at least 90% of the initial codeing myself. Later though, I will need help with maintnence and updateing (don't worry, this will be fairly simple, as everything will be in modules...pretty much to add a new spell animation you'll put in the spell section a unique spell ID, and the file or sequence to use..The server will tell the client when and if the character can use the spell). On the server side, It will be me only (most likely), as this tends to get quite a bit more complicated . If you'd like, there's a free 3D art and animation creation program out there called anim8or..not the best quality, but we don't need (or want) super high quality (in other words, try to keep the polys pretty low...the textures will make the appearence). You can get it at www.anim8or.com....

Thanks for the interest,
Rob

Edit:
In case you're curious... The client is being developed with VC++, and I'm going to be diving into a bit of COM developement here as well (so it will be easier for an outside programmer to make changes/additions...also makes "patching" easier). The server is written in C to be based on a UNIX (idealy Linux) system. If need be though, I can create a windows based server as well...we'll see what happens.

(edited by pragma7 on 06-04-02 12:38 PM)
HyperSauce

Since: 04-28-02
Rating: 10 (400 pts)

Since last post: 7735 days
Last activity: 7368 days
Posted on 06-04-02 05:48 PMQuote | Edit | Delete
Out of curiousity, would you accept sound files in MP3 format?
This project of yours is intriguing; I'd like to lend a hand doing some of the music and 2D/3D graphics.
pragma7

Posted on 06-04-02 06:23 PMQuote | Edit | Delete
MP3 is fine, I can convert it on my end

Rob
Doomcraft

Since last post: 7982 days
Last activity: 7970 days
Posted on 06-04-02 06:41 PMQuote | Edit | Delete
I´d love to help you, the project seems very interesting, really.
Infortunately I do not have the necessary skills with 3D design & graphics, which is a pity. *sigh*
well, wish you good luck on your project.

--------------------
I look like I'm not thinking about anything, and it's the truth...

pragma7

Posted on 06-04-02 08:54 PMQuote | Edit | Delete
Well, we'll need 2d textures too, if you have any experience there (for clothing, the ground for landscapes, walls, floors, equipment, etc.). Otherwise, wait until I open Alpha for play and you can contribute ideas..This game will be closed Alpha/Beta though (meaning I will choose from a list of canidates who will test).

Rob
milkrock

Since: 05-22-02

Since last post: 7606 days
Last activity: 7606 days
Posted on 06-04-02 09:06 PMQuote | Edit | Delete
I took about two years worth of 3D modeling classes and I have Lightwave 7 whcih saves files in any of the file formatts you have listes. But ... 3D modelings gets very tiring and repetative for me. I could set up some simple polygon type things that look .... Crappy to say the least for testing porpuses but I really don't want to go into the detail required to make a model look nice. If you give me soem time to think about it I might change my mind.

--------------------
"Everytime I think People get as dumb as possibly their idiots scientist come up with new ways of being stupid" - Gabriel (www.penny-arcade.com)
pragma7

Posted on 06-04-02 09:45 PMQuote | Edit | Delete
Well in this case, milkrock, we want low quality. The characters will appear slightly larger than those in Ragnarok, what will make them look "pretty" is the textures we apply to them. Basically what I need in 3D is 1 male and 1 female character (perhaps more later, but for now this will do), Trees, plants, landscapes (dungeons, towns, and outside), and weapons/items. For things like trees, don't bother with huge subdivisions to make the effect of leaves...simple to a quasi-umbrela shape and we will apply a texture of leaves...I can then use masking/blending to create a transparent effect to make it look real. In actuality, the hardest part will be the animation and the textures (these will need much more detail). Let me know if you have any suggestions, btw.

Rob
milkrock

Posted on 06-04-02 09:58 PMQuote | Edit | Delete
Define low quality god I wasn't even thinking about the trees and stuff. Like do you want hand shapped hands? A thumb maybe. Or will blocks do. How large do you need these models? On the male body is tehre anythign we need to define? Like do you want muscles? I'm really not sure how detailed you need this to be in order to look good. The only real diffrence from there I would have to do is probably make it smaller, shape the head slighty diffrent, tone down the arms, and enlarge the breasts. I'm not terrible at texture making but I'm not very good so you'll diffintly want someone else to do that.

--------------------
"Everytime I think People get as dumb as possibly their idiots scientist come up with new ways of being stupid" - Gabriel (www.penny-arcade.com)
pragma7

Posted on 06-05-02 12:33 AMQuote | Edit | Delete
Very slight muscle defenition (and I do mean very slight), and of corse breasts on the women. The head will be almost a sphere extruded for hair (again this would be different on men/women). As far as size, that doesn't matter, as I can tone it up/down when I get it...idealy, keep it a little larger than you think it should be (to avoid loss in quality). And the bigest thing, try to keep the poly count (or vertex count, whichever you go by) to a minimum.

Thanks,
Rob
Akute Psyko

Since: 06-05-02

Since last post: 7953 days
Last activity: 7999 days
Posted on 06-05-02 01:33 AMQuote | Edit | Delete
heheh.. i just signed up to forumz!....=D

anyways, i can help with 3D designing, i have some experience in 3D design and a lil 3D animation.

so you want a low polygon body mesh that you'll use to apply a skin texture over? i think i know wut you mean.....

wut kind of artwork style will your game be based on? medieval (like D2), anime (RO), etc...

can you put in cinematics too? i'd be happy to make cinematics...... =D, tho that will take alot longer....

--------------------
-Akute Psyko
milkrock

Posted on 06-05-02 03:54 AMQuote | Edit | Delete
hey akute if you have enough xp with this stuff could you do it looks liemk im gonna be very busy this week.

--------------------
pragma7

Posted on 06-05-02 04:31 AMQuote | Edit | Delete
Of corse! If you're willing to do cinimatics I'd love to. I plan on baseing the game in the VERY distant future (after we've all nuked ourselves). There will be magic (of corse), medival weapons, and futuristic (later on in game play). Mostly it will be a medival look, but some futuristic stuff will be there too. I'm so glad people are willing to help, I've been trying to get this off the ground forever, but I'm a horrible artist...take a look at the artwork on my site, that's the extent of what i've done..oh, and they were done in Anim8or, rendered as bitmaps and converted to jpg, or png. So, here's the basic rundown...Definately quasi-anime, medival combined with futuristic (use your imagination)...post some of your work on the board and we'll try to get this off the ground .

Rob
Kaiou

Since last post: 7845 days
Last activity: 7844 days
Posted on 06-05-02 05:29 AMQuote | Edit | Delete
i'm really good at cell arts, if u would like to see some of my work just aim me...
Doomcraft

Since last post: 7982 days
Last activity: 7970 days
Posted on 06-05-02 11:46 AMQuote | Edit | Delete
btw, does anyone know of a rpgmaker that lets us define the size of the sprites?
(I hate to see those 64x64 pixelized characters.. -_-)

--------------------
I look like I'm not thinking about anything, and it's the truth...

Splendid

Since: 05-07-02

Since last post: 7999 days
Last activity: 7991 days
Posted on 06-05-02 12:28 PMQuote | Edit | Delete
You don't really want to use WAV, do you ? FMOD would be a far better choice then.

Description from their Website:
FMOD is the fastest, most powerful and easiest to use sound system on Windows, Linux and Windows CE there is, and now PS2 & XBox!.
Supporting 3d sound, midi, mods, mp3, ogg vorbis, wma, recording, geometry processing, cd playback, mmx, internet streaming, dsp effects, spectrum analysis, user created samples and streams, synchronization support, EAX 2&3, A3D 3.0, C/C++/VB/Delphi/MASM and more.

Check it out at www.fmod.org

If i can help in any way, tell me. I can code in delphi and a bit ASM. I can't do any graphics, but if there is anything else i can do, tell me... And if you really want to make it based on modules, there shouldn't be any problem that I don't know C

--------------------
Knowledge is Power
pragma7

Posted on 06-05-02 02:04 PMQuote | Edit | Delete
Splendid:
How do you mean a FMOD is a better choice? It's simply a sound library, kind of like DirectSound (but it claims to be faster). FMOD simply determines the meathod of playing the .WAV, .MP3, etc. In this case, I don't think something like this would be needed. Honestly, I don't think it's faster than DirectSound, if you're doing it right that is .

Kaiou:
I don't use AIM or any messenger service for that matter. If you want to show me some of your work, either post it on my forum (http://www26.brinkster.com/pragma7/) or E-mail it (roemmeler@yahoo.com), I'd love to take a look at it.

Rob
Akute Psyko

Since last post: 7953 days
Last activity: 7999 days
Posted on 06-05-02 03:44 PMQuote | Edit | Delete
hah... sounds good...

Anyone use 3D studio or Bryce? i'm kinda busy this week and next week- Finals... -_- not to mention the loads of work they cram at us the last few weeks of school...

I'll make a lil model of a 3D swordman or sumthin... O.o

--------------------
-Akute Psyko
Test-0

Since: 05-18-02

Since last post: 7998 days
Last activity: 7513 days
Posted on 06-05-02 06:49 PMQuote | Edit | Delete
Greetings.

I hear you need a modeler or artist? I'll try out. I used to be in a few mod teams for half-life and quake 2, and have a bunch of experence with a large ammount of diffrent model types. I can also make my own skins and can moderately do textures (as making skins also gives ya a bit of texturing skill as well. ^^ ).

I can also draw chars, but my modeling skills are a little better.

--------------------
Test-0
Pages: 1 2 3Next newer thread | Next older thread
Sasami's Ragnarok World Forums (LOCKED) - General Discussion - Artists Needed! |
Edit/move/close/delete thread

Sasami's Ragnarok World

AcmlmBoard v1.7
© 2000-2001 Acmlm

Page rendered in 0.01 seconds.