Sasami's Ragnarok World Forums
Register | Login | Logout | Edit profile | Avatars
Views: 410016
Main | Memberlist | Member pages | Online users
Ranks | Chat | New Chat | FAQ | Search | Photo album
05-04-24 10:25 PM
Sasami's Ragnarok World Forums (LOCKED) - General Discussion - Artists Needed! |
Pages: 1 2 3Next newer thread | Next older thread
User

Since: 04-26-02

Since last post: 7837 days
Last activity: 7851 days
Posted on 06-11-02 08:31 PMQuote | Edit | Delete
Well, the people who host each server will of corse be chosen by me, they won't be just anyone. I don't have near the resources to host the kind of player base that Ragnarok does, but with this meathod, I could have 100x what they do. As far as if the server goes down...The data will be the responsibility of each "world admin". If you lose something, you'll only be loseing what you had since you arrived in that "world", and if deemed necessary, would be re-imbursed. As far as speed, this isn't really an issue...this is another reason behind my meathod, the only "wait" time will be when you first move into the new area. Also keep in mind, in this type of game there's not a WHOLE lot of data to transfer, you're talking 2-5k max.

Sironin:
Sounds good, I'll whip something up tonight and send it over.

Rob
Sironin

Since: 05-17-02

Since last post: 7940 days
Last activity: 7624 days
Posted on 06-12-02 12:54 AMQuote | Edit | Delete
lol I'd be surprised if their data even made up 1k... (data from a database when when efficiently managed can be realllllly small).

As far as worlds going down... Mayhaps something that deals with the possibility that your world is down and allows you to spawn elsewhere (like the main world) but only if your world is down... Obviously we're getting ahead of ourselves, but lessons learned from ragnarok and other mmorpgs could easily be applied here ^^
pragma7

Posted on 06-12-02 01:43 PMQuote | Edit | Delete
Well, my origional plan was intended to have each player start in their "Home Town" upon logging in. The "Home Towns" would be on the main server and therefore if that one was down, it would be useless to try getting on anyway. As far as the size of data, I was taking into account Items and skills/spells. When you have a game that can be upgraded and modified so easily, you have the possiblility for literally hundreds of skills/spells and thousands of items. These are the only instances in which we might reach 5k player files. Also, I'll have to appologize for not getting that sample to you, my 'real job' had some issues that I had to work out. Just for a taste of what's to come...

Leveless exp system - Apparent level is based on status, and can exceed 500
Combo skills/magic - 2 or more players in the same group can combine abilities
6 different races - in 6 different home towns
classless system - any player can learn any skill/spell if they meet requirements
* dynamic appearence - appearence based on stats, ex. 50 str will look pretty buff
Quests - Admins of each world will run quests, boss monsters can only be fought
during one of these quests. (this means that any admins I choose must
keep up with their world)
PK and Psteal - Player killing and Player stealing will change alignment. Someone
with low alignment is treated differently by NPCs ex. they may pay
more in stores/inns, and may even be attacked without warning if
it's low enough. Someone known as a thief might not even be
aloud in certain shops.

... more to come

Anything marked with a * means that it is a possibility, not definate yet.

Rob

DaiSHi

Since: 05-03-02
Rating: 10 (400 pts)

Since last post: 7366 days
Last activity: 7366 days
Posted on 06-12-02 03:05 PMQuote | Edit | Delete
Originally posted by pragma7

PK and Psteal - Player killing and Player stealing will change alignment. Someone
with low alignment is treated differently by NPCs ex. they may pay
more in stores/inns, and may even be attacked without warning if
it's low enough. Someone known as a thief might not even be
aloud in certain shops.

... more to come

Anything marked with a * means that it is a possibility, not definate yet.

Rob

hehe...reminds me a bit of baulder's gate.... i hated those guards of the flaming fist... well... off to my last final of my first year here... just had to be an 8 am final yawn. bad idea to play rag til 330 in the morning and barely study

--------------------
Loki: DaiSHi 48/35 swordman, H.O.L.Y.Merchant OC, Robbin'Hood 37/27 Thief, HOLYFistsOfFury 22/16 Puncholyte
12170 exp and counting... || good luck to everyone who has finals
Flower girls are the cutest... but not as cute as my Tina
MingShun

Since: 05-10-02
Rating: 10 (400 pts)

Since last post: 7414 days
Last activity: 7414 days
Posted on 06-12-02 03:07 PMQuote | Edit | Delete
I did that! Luckily the final was at 3...Too bad I only had 2 hours of sleep though...

--------------------
Wish I had a sig pic....
Sironin

Since: 05-17-02

Since last post: 7940 days
Last activity: 7624 days
Posted on 06-13-02 07:45 AMQuote | Edit | Delete
Quite all right, I understand. Lol take your time.

Dynamic appearance is interesting and may be possible with creative use of directx manipulation of polygons or sprites. There are some interesting effects you can apply to the simplest things to alter their appearance. It'd prolly be an easy function, something like stat level * stretch effect on coords... You get the idea...

Another interesting thing I remember seeing was a tech demo someone made generated the entire demo using ONLY the standard dx8 textures... the demo file was like 63k or something and the demo was massive. It's hard to describe, but they rendered some awesome 3d environments and sound without any additional files. I know you're using com, but it might be something to look into...
pragma7

Posted on 06-13-02 09:42 PMQuote | Edit | Delete
Oh, this is something I considered. Certain lib files would contain the animations/graphics...I'm still trying to figure out a way to do this efficiently with sound media...I'll keep you posted.

Rob
Pages: 1 2 3Next newer thread | Next older thread
Sasami's Ragnarok World Forums (LOCKED) - General Discussion - Artists Needed! |
Edit/move/close/delete thread

Sasami's Ragnarok World

AcmlmBoard v1.7
© 2000-2001 Acmlm

Page rendered in 0.018 seconds.