Sasami's Ragnarok World Forums
Register | Login | Logout | Edit profile | Avatars
Views: 410016
Main | Memberlist | Member pages | Online users
Ranks | Chat | New Chat | FAQ | Search | Photo album
05-05-24 01:39 AM
Sasami's Ragnarok World Forums (LOCKED) - General Discussion - Sasami: About your departure and Gravity | Thread closed
Pages: 1 2 3 4Next newer thread | Next older thread
User

Since: 04-09-02

Since last post: 7748 days
Last activity: 7500 days
Posted on 06-06-02 11:57 PM
I'm just really pissed off now 'cause I thought I was getting a REAL reply...but nah, it's just another one of those automated responses that they love to give x.x

--------------------
Sasami

Goddess in Training

Since: 02-18-02
Rating: 10 (1030 pts)

Since last post: 7366 days
Last activity: 7366 days
Posted on 06-07-02 03:14 AM
you mean you're surprised they would do something like that? no offense, but where have you been
Arsenic

Since: 04-12-02

Since last post: 7479 days
Last activity: 7473 days
Posted on 06-07-02 07:53 AM
Noiboi:

The MS-DOS that you see running in each Windows system is in fact an emulator. Windows run DOS program in a virtual 8086 machine to simulate the DOS environment to the DOS program, while all other Windows programs are running at the same time.

Does the DOS program know it is running in Windows? No, because the virtual machine reacts exactly like DOS used to, answering to interrupts, BIOS and I/O calls. Can you run 2 DOS programs at the same time in Windows? Yes you can, but it wasn't possible in the original DOS days (Exception of TSR programs, but those were just hooking the system at some places, and not interactive to the user).

The DOS programs think they own everything in the system, but obviously that is not how Windows was designed, because on the oposite of DOS, Windows programs cannot access other program's memory space. So that's why each DOS programs under Windows have their one 1 MB address space, and cannot conflict anything else anymore.

Plus, Windows is multitasking, DOS wasn't. That's why with the virtual 8086 machine now the DOS program doesn't control everything until it ends, but is given a "quantum" of CPU time periodically with a round-robin way method, like every other running programs.

That's what makes the MS-DOS in Windows 16/32 bits an emulator. See your definition and tell me if that matches.

If you had any knowledges on OS you would know that. Don't ever try to correct me again if you don't know what you're talking about.
milkrock

Since: 05-22-02

Since last post: 7611 days
Last activity: 7611 days
Posted on 06-07-02 09:13 AM
Originally posted by Noiboi
The e-mail is 100% genuin. Why would I fake it? Maybe Christy has been practicing her English or something.

And Windows isn't actually an MSDOS emulator. 95 and below are an MSDOS graphic interface, 98 was part graphic interface / part true OS. NT/2000/XP were true OS's

He said Windows Ms-DOS is an emulator as in dos within the OS and its True. Windows no longer has true dos packaged with it. Ever since Windows ME (or Win 2K whichever came out first) Windows has been packaged with an MS-DOS emulator and not Real dos.

--------------------
"Everytime I think People get as dumb as possibly their idiots scientist come up with new ways of being stupid" - Gabriel (www.penny-arcade.com)
Noiboi

Since: 04-17-02

Since last post: 8002 days
Last activity: 7927 days
Posted on 06-07-02 03:51 PM
Sorry, I kind of miss read what you said. I thought you said that windows was an MS-DOS emulator. Whoops.
Cleff

Since: 05-19-02

Since last post: 7897 days
Last activity: 7965 days
Posted on 06-08-02 04:32 AM
Er....I think this is a little off topic here but I'll post it anyways

Gravity just removed "IXGA" from their list of websites

You guys should be able to find a thread at IXGA>Raganarok Online> General
It contains some info (ok, maybe info isn't such a good word to use)

--------------------
I'm sigless
Kaede_X

Since: 05-17-02

Since last post: 7944 days
Last activity: 7923 days
Posted on 06-08-02 06:29 AM
You say you want what's best for RO, but how can you do it effectively when you don't respect the wishes of the company that makes the game. In the end, they determine RO's final fate, and for that, you should at LEAST respect their wishes to keep 3rd-party programs and hacks out of the public eye.

Just because they made it, doesn't mean they're always right.
Besides, regardless of whether the EXP Viewer is an emulator, it is NOT harmful in any way. I mean what the hell am I gonna do? EXP you to death? The feature was even included in the Alpha, they just took it out of BETA for some reason.

--------------------
Death is the best cure for stupidity..
Sasami

Goddess in Training

Posted on 06-08-02 06:58 AM
If they tell me to take down my programs i will, but so far they have only spoken against emulators, which are the bots.
Aden

Since: 06-08-02

Since last post: 8000 days
Last activity: 7967 days
Posted on 06-08-02 07:06 AM
Neh, actually I believe they stated against *ALL* third party programs, regardless of what they did or didn't do.

Christy's English is a poor excuse to be "picking on" if you ask me, considering. But I suppose low blows aren't all that unnatural from either side. :: Shrugs;: I don't really care. But I've corresponded on several occasions with Christy myself and her English isn't bad, and anyone who can't understand it must be.. I dunno, pretty damn slow. Especially considering that more than half of the International servers speak worse English, if they speak English at all that is.

--------------------
"Moron..." -Solid "Pliskin" Snake
Beast

Last activity: 8000 days
Posted on 06-08-02 07:10 AM
Hm.. i'd like to hear you guys speak fluent korean (even with grammatical errors).. Or better yet, go learn korean fluently and volunteer yourself for a full time position (well yeah, i'd take that position, too :B).

They hate all external programs... you don't want people screwing with your program. You made it one way.. if they want to change it, they will. Why do people get so worked up over a free game they willfully play? (Or don't play, in Sasami's case).
Sasami

Goddess in Training

Posted on 06-08-02 07:16 AM
They came to us with the game, we did not go to them. If a person comes to live in your country and doesn't know the official language, should you expect them to know it, or should they expect you to know theirs?
Aden

Posted on 06-08-02 07:22 AM
Americans always get pushy about people not knowing English in other countries.

But that's another story entirely, one that I surely don't care to go into at this juncture There are more English speakers in China than there are in the United States. Of course there are also more people, so that may be a moot point -- except for the fact that... there are more English speakers... in China... Hm.

Anyhow, what's the point in bashing a person's English? At least they're making an attempt to communicate, instead of actually expecting people to know Korean. It's a stupid point. Very, very stupid.

You don't have to play the game, that's the bottom line. Can't stand the so-called "Engrish"? Then geez, save yourself the "Money on tums" *crack* and stop playing for the love of god. Of course, Sasami, this doesn't apply to you since you actually DID stop playing

--------------------
Beast

Posted on 06-08-02 07:25 AM
They may have "came to us with the game" ... or rather, opened up a free server to all english speaking users to test the market... but you certainly weren't forced to play. Personally, I'd be happy without any text. Until the game goes retail, that is.
Sasami

Goddess in Training

Posted on 06-08-02 07:42 AM
I was asked by them personally to look for hacks and report them, and I decided to do them that courtesy.

(edited by Sasami on 06-08-02 02:43 AM)
Beast

Posted on 06-08-02 07:46 AM
I've also had very personal responses from Christy to look for bugs and hacks, while her not even knowing of me being a programmer. Out of courtesy? Sure.. you mean, out of your interest in playing the game at the time.. Why else would you make the exp viewer to begin with? Don't try to say you didn't want to play the game, that's bull. And just by playing the game you end up finding bugs and hacks. That's the whole point of being a beta tester. Whether you find more or not, you're no different status wise, or obligation wise than the thousands of others out there. You don't work for them. You still chose to play.
Aden

Posted on 06-08-02 07:48 AM
Christy asked me personally to report bugs and hacks as well, and said a few other things she said I could quote, but choose not to... uh, at this juncture. (I'm having Due South relapses). I may not be any !33+ HaXx0|2 but I can definately spot the bugs and exploits just as well as most of them can. Funny thing is I don't have any problems communicating with her at all

In fact, she is quite civil and kind, though QUITE untrusting of players now for.. obvious reasons. ROFL I don't know why some people claim to never get responses to their emails. Every single one I have sent has promptly been responded to within hours, with courtesy, and completely personalized, so anyone who thinks that all of Gravity's emails are form letters - I got a wake up call for ya :B

--------------------
Quanta

Since: 04-09-02

Since last post: 7748 days
Last activity: 7500 days
Posted on 06-08-02 10:12 AM
There actually was a good reason for removing iXga, and that reason was...

...they sucked! They had no info whatsoever regarding Ragnarok up (at least, not anymore), nor did they have any El Kardian info up.

Actually, there's probably an even better explanation...but I'm not telling

--------------------
DaiSHi

Since: 05-03-02
Rating: 10 (400 pts)

Posted on 06-08-02 10:16 AM
none of my emails have ever gotten responses...makes it easy for them to explain why they banned my accounts... =X

--------------------
Loki: DaiSHi 48/34 swordman, H.O.L.Y.Merchant OC, Robbin'Hood 37/27 Thief
9668 exp and counting... || good luck to everyone who has finals
Flower girls are the cutest... but not as cute as my Tina
Sasami

Goddess in Training

Posted on 06-08-02 10:36 AM
Originally posted by Aden
Christy asked me personally to report bugs and hacks as well, and said a few other things she said I could quote, but choose not to... uh, at this juncture. (I'm having Due South relapses). I may not be any !33+ HaXx0|2 but I can definately spot the bugs and exploits just as well as most of them can. Funny thing is I don't have any problems communicating with her at all

In fact, she is quite civil and kind, though QUITE untrusting of players now for.. obvious reasons. ROFL I don't know why some people claim to never get responses to their emails. Every single one I have sent has promptly been responded to within hours, with courtesy, and completely personalized, so anyone who thinks that all of Gravity's emails are form letters - I got a wake up call for ya :B

Christy knows NOTHING of what is going on, she can't explain anything you tell her back to the programmers. I was asked by the programmer directly, not through email, to find the hacks and report them to him.

Originally posted by Quanta
There actually was a good reason for removing iXga, and that reason was...

...they sucked! They had no info whatsoever regarding Ragnarok up (at least, not anymore), nor did they have any El Kardian info up.

Actually, there's probably an even better explanation...but I'm not telling

You have no idea what you are talking about. Most of the info any of the admins there knew they couldn't reveal.
Avaj

Since: 06-04-02

Since last post: 7908 days
Last activity: 7907 days
Posted on 06-08-02 11:44 AM
I got a reply from Gravity with one of my emails(my main computer dosen't show the sprites very well), it was kindof general like a fortune cookie though.

Speaking of which, I've never seen graphic artifacts like what I see on RO... they must use some odd display routines.
Pages: 1 2 3 4Next newer thread | Next older thread
Sasami's Ragnarok World Forums (LOCKED) - General Discussion - Sasami: About your departure and Gravity | Thread closed
Edit/move/close/delete thread

Sasami's Ragnarok World

AcmlmBoard v1.7
© 2000-2001 Acmlm

Page rendered in 0.01 seconds.