Sasami's Ragnarok World Forums
Register | Login | Logout | Edit profile | Avatars
Views: 410016
Main | Memberlist | Member pages | Online users
Ranks | Chat | New Chat | FAQ | Search | Photo album
04-28-24 03:44 AM
Sasami's Ragnarok World Forums (LOCKED) - General Discussion - The New MMORPG Project | Thread closed
Pages: 1 2Next newer thread | Next older thread
User

Goddess in Training

Since: 02-18-02
Rating: 10 (1030 pts)

Since last post: 7359 days
Last activity: 7359 days
Posted on 06-08-02 12:26 AM
[editx2] bleh, closing the thread, i'll find people for the project, much more safe

As I posted on my front page here, if anyone is willing and very serious to work on the new mmorpg project and knows that there will be no pay until the game starts turning profit, or just wants to work on it for the fun and glory, please submit your name and skills that you think you can contribute on this thread. Depending upon the size of the task any individual takes will depend on the reward. I will talk to each people on an individual to individual basis on this that I select to participate in the project. As a nother note, do not expect to see any real staff testing and viewing of the product until around december, as a guestement. I expect to start beta testing in about a year, if all goes well. Lets hope we can get this project off the ground and thanks in advance to everyone that wants to contribute.

[edit] let me be a little more specific on what we are looking for. I believe I will be doing most of the c++ programming myself, for both the server and client. It will of course involved DX, linux programming and networking protocol stuff for both windows and linux. The jobs I will really needing help with are story line, artwork, real good beta testers who are familiar with how to find exploits in systems and where bugs could easily be made, weapons, monsters, items, prices (economy), good battle system algorithms and forumlas, dropping formulas etc.

I would love to base the game around norse myth like ragnarok, but dammit, gravity beat me to it so I will be taking a different theme. I think I know a good one but it currently slipped my mind.

(edited by Sasami on 06-07-02 08:22 PM)

(edited by Sasami on 06-08-02 03:23 AM)
Avaj

Since: 06-04-02

Since last post: 7901 days
Last activity: 7901 days
Posted on 06-08-02 12:56 AM
I'd like to contribute in anyway possible, something like this would be very fun(I'm wierd) and a good learning experience.

Oh and I have some skill with C++, javascript(who dosen't) and other such C style languages.

Micah Chase(Avaj)

(edited by Avaj on 06-07-02 07:57 PM)
Quanta

Since: 04-09-02

Since last post: 7741 days
Last activity: 7493 days
Posted on 06-08-02 01:15 AM
If I may, I'd at least like to come on as a creative consultant (I have many, many, ideas for an MMORPG)...though I shall become more versed in programming once I start college in the fall.

Edward Kehoe (Quanta)

--------------------
jekki

Since: 04-30-02

Since last post: 7995 days
Last activity: 7978 days
Posted on 06-08-02 01:41 AM
yes!! something to do for the summer.

i can help with artwor (2d only) . ill upload all my artwork for you to check if you think i might be any help.

here's a little of my work...i don't have much of a digital portfolio i work more in traditional media

click here gallery
Avaj

Since: 06-04-02

Since last post: 7901 days
Last activity: 7901 days
Posted on 06-08-02 02:12 AM
Their is enough norse to go around, I noticed a few items like the Gungnir but other then that I haven't seen much, now Valkyrie Profile, that was full of Norse fun.
Talien

Since: 05-08-02

Since last post: 7980 days
Last activity: 7980 days
Posted on 06-08-02 02:49 AM
I don't have much talent as far as programming goes, but I've got more ideas and such than I know what to do with. I've come up with several P&P type RPG settings, and a couple designed for WebRPG/OpenRPG. If you want to see a sample of what I've come up with for one of them let me know and I'll e-mail you a zip of the info files.

--------------------

Member of Prontera Parish
Kadin

Since: 06-08-02

Since last post: 7995 days
Last activity: 7994 days
Posted on 06-08-02 03:16 AM
Hello,

I wouldn't mind contributing ideas for character building, quests, areas etc.

I'm unfortunately not versed in C++ or any programming (besides html if u call that programming)

I can help with graphics if you wish to. Though as a full time student I cannot give total attention. However I wish to support what you're doing =)

My basic resume would be architecture + visual communications. I was mildly involved with mud building for a short period of time. I do not have online profile/website/portfolio at the moment. My website is down, sorry about that.
OsirisInside

Master of Idiocy

Since: 05-07-02

Since last post: 7943 days
Last activity: 7942 days
Posted on 06-08-02 03:19 AM
Ah..nice to see that you are going start your own project.
Well, here's a few of my talents:
Packets
Debugging(or finding bugs)
Storylines
Quest ideas
Item ideas
Mapping

well, i dont know if those are good or bad, but o well, it's worth a shot.
also, i've got a crazy imagination.

--------------------
I came,

I saw,

I shit.
Insante

Since: 03-25-02

Since last post: 7985 days
Last activity: 7937 days
Posted on 06-08-02 03:31 AM
I definitely want in on this, but I couldn't help much in the way of programming, for now at least. What I CAN do is design, story and style. I've got a lot of really badass ideas for an MMO or a CS mod, but I'm really hesitant about giving them out to just anyone. I'd definitely trust you, but if we get into buisness together, it would have to be just that - buisness. I can also do a lot of marketing work, I know some poople in the field so...

I can also do programming bitchwork y'kno? - The repetitive stuff that no one wants to do because it's so easy an ametur (like me ^^ ) can do.

Can we get in contact somehow? I'll send you an email to the one on the main page that you probably don't check anymore, so go look at it and send me word.

--------------------
Get entranced.
WolfOnIce

Since last post: 7948 days
Last activity: 7983 days
Posted on 06-08-02 04:09 AM
Sasami later on i would love to be a beta tester for your game. I have plenty of extra time on my hands and i promise to work really hard for you.
Insante you dog, where have you been on GC? You need to stop by every once in a while.

--------------------
Eviliscious!
Rip

Since last post: 7994 days
Last activity: 7993 days
Posted on 06-08-02 04:10 AM
I'd love to donate some of my free time . I have about 3-4 years of C++ experience (maybe more), about 1 year with VB, and another year with some miscellaneous languages (javascript, LPC, python). And I'm currently reading a massive amount of tutorials and stuff on 8086 assembler and reverse engineering. I can help mostly in the general area of cheat-proofing... Oh, and I'm going to college in the fall to major in Computer Science =D Anyway...if you need any references or anything, ask Arsenic about me He hasn't seen my code yet but I'm sure he'd like my efficiency.

-Rip
Cleff

Since: 05-19-02

Since last post: 7890 days
Last activity: 7958 days
Posted on 06-08-02 04:15 AM
I would love to be in on this
But I'm only good at stories (sorta) and ideas

--------------------
I'm sigless
Akurei

Since last post: 7994 days
Last activity: 7936 days
Posted on 06-08-02 05:58 AM

I think I might be able to contribute to the storyline. I really enjoy reading about mythology, medieval stuff and other fantasy type stuff. . Maybe this will also give me a chance to get my creative writing juices flowing again. My artistic skill is a bit lacking, so I doubt that I can be of much help there. I usually stumble upon exploits in systems, so I'm not THAT good, but I do find some occassionally. I have no clue if I'll be useful in weapons, monsters, items, prices, battle system, and formula stuff, but you never know unless you try. =P
Kaede_X

Since: 05-17-02

Since last post: 7937 days
Last activity: 7916 days
Posted on 06-08-02 06:27 AM
You could always base it off of the Bakumatsu era in Japan

--------------------
Death is the best cure for stupidity..
HyperSauce

Since: 04-28-02
Rating: 10 (400 pts)

Since last post: 7734 days
Last activity: 7366 days
Posted on 06-08-02 06:27 AM
I would like to lend a little musical talent. I have a bit of experience with Fruity Loops (although I'm working on getting more realistic instrument samples).
I can also do 2D art, mostly interfaces and abstract stuff.
Writing I can do as well; quests, dialogue, useless (un)witty fillers, etc.
Programming...well, I got to level 5 of Try2Hack in about 5 mins but I don't have much knowledge of VB, and was too lazy to try to solve it afterwards ;;

What else...I can rub my stomach and pat my head at the same time!
Sasami

Goddess in Training

Posted on 06-08-02 06:56 AM
*hires you on the spot for that last skill*

music will be something we need to play close attention to, the music of ragnarok is one thing that seemed to make it NOT repetative... um... I think I will be having it very mixed, like time zones, an ancient celtic zone, a modern zone, ancient japan, a slightly futuristic one, arthurian legend place, all of them tieing into the large story with lavish quests...
Beast

Since last post: 7993 days
Posted on 06-08-02 07:01 AM
I hate to put even the slightest damper on things.. but... making a game is a lot harder than you think. I have quite a decent amount of programming and gaming experience behind me, as well many friends who have been making games and such (Omega Worlds (using mostly Direct X, C++, etc... in NY.Yes, they suck.. don't we all? But at least they actually have made games, despite being only college students like myself)..

Currently majoring in Computer Science and Electronic Arts, as well as having taken a course "Cognition and Gaming" in which me and a team created a Beta of a game. I can tell you it's NOT easy. You can't just get together with a few friends (or by yourself for that matter) and code a full quality retail game, especially one similar to ragnarok. If you want to use non-copyrighted sprites for example. You'd better get some damn good 2d sprite artists and animators willing to work for a year or so non-stop, no sleep, 24/7 for free. 3d's a lot easier (hence the creation of Shining Lore, which looks disgusting).

FPS are the big thing at Omega worlds, along with real time strategy (some of the easiest "retail-quality" games to code, and games I hate for that matter).. take a ton of work and team work, as well as TONS of grunt programmers from the school looking for "internships" and just becoming slave laborers, just to get a little bit done. Do you really have any idea how to program a game similar to ragnarok? Do you REALLY think you can do it basically yourself in a summer? and have it work?! Don't forget the entire program/engine/data structure design phase... oh, and the debugging just to get the game running will be wonderful, won't it?

Why don't you wait until this is actually possible for you, and you're working for a game company, or hell, start your own in the future. You have a lot of talent I'm sure, and a ton of potential. At the moment, you can start designing, get ideas. Story lines, engine concepts. Start coding it once you have an idea and have thought it out a bit, and see just how hard it's going to be.. especially by yourself. Make it a long term, hell, almost life/career long project. Games just don't come out of nowhere. I'm not saying it's impossible, I'm merely saying you're jumping the gun a little, and underestimating the task. I'd just hate to see you get yours and everyone else's hopes on this page so high just to let them down. If you start with expectations and goals so high that they're impossible, and rush into the coding and creation, it always ends in failure, and scrapping of the whole idea, instead of actually working.

But then again, what would I know.
HyperSauce

Since: 04-28-02
Rating: 10 (400 pts)

Since last post: 7734 days
Last activity: 7366 days
Posted on 06-08-02 07:09 AM
Originally posted by Sasami
music will be something we need to play close attention to, the music of ragnarok is one thing that seemed to make it NOT repetative... um... I think I will be having it very mixed, like time zones, an ancient celtic zone, a modern zone, ancient japan, a slightly futuristic one, arthurian legend place, all of them tieing into the large story with lavish quests...

Hmm...smacks a bit of Chrono Trigger methinks, with the time zones heheh...

The musical gears are rollin but more inspirative oil would be nice...(e.g. concept art, etc.)
I'll do a bit of research into those ideas and put the quill to paper.
Sasami

Goddess in Training

Posted on 06-08-02 07:12 AM
Why don't you wait until this is actually possible for you, and you're working for a game company, or hell, start your own in the future.

i plan on submitting the papers to the covernent within the year for just that. I myself have been programming for well over half my life, and plan on completing a beta of the server and client engines before i launch the company so I can gain sponsorship. I have all the resources I need right now to do it, all it is is a matter of time.

Beast

Since last post: 7993 days
Posted on 06-08-02 07:22 AM
LOL .. alright... goodluck... you've got quite the journey ahead of you.

Quick question, have you ever programmed a 3d world with 2d sprites before? There are reasons why game companies have teams of programmers for each system and engine, directors, producers, etc.

I'm very interested to see an Alpha version of this game, since you're so sure it will be so much better than Ragnarok (I assume that means better than the Alpha Ragnarok was in every way, like you stated earlier). When do you think this will be ready by? Maybe I can pretend I'm one of those whiny brats who complain to Gravity non-stop about everything not done and buggy in the game... only to you ; .. Gotta get used to it sometime, right?
Pages: 1 2Next newer thread | Next older thread
Sasami's Ragnarok World Forums (LOCKED) - General Discussion - The New MMORPG Project | Thread closed
Edit/move/close/delete thread

Sasami's Ragnarok World

AcmlmBoard v1.7
© 2000-2001 Acmlm

Page rendered in 0.01 seconds.