Sasami's Ragnarok World Forums
Register | Login | Logout | Edit profile | Avatars
Views: 410016
Main | Memberlist | Member pages | Online users
Ranks | Chat | New Chat | FAQ | Search | Photo album
04-28-24 05:59 AM
Sasami's Ragnarok World Forums (LOCKED) - General Discussion - Well, after the recent new.. |
Pages: 1 2Next newer thread | Next older thread
User

Since: 08-02-02

Since last post: 7855 days
Last activity: 7841 days
Posted on 08-02-02 01:34 PMQuote | Edit | Delete
I think the Alpha server project is more of a reality than ever now ?
dont you agree?
If someone else doesn't do it , i guess another is bound to.
Mahou Seitou

Since last post: 7619 days
Last activity: 7619 days
Posted on 08-02-02 03:21 PMQuote | Edit | Delete
I guess you're referring to the news that says they are going to take down the international server provisionally?

What I don't get is that....
They are gonna take down the International "i.e. english server" for a maximum of 3 months because "they do not have the time to take care of it", yet at the same time, they are going to launch THREE new servers in 3 different languages this month. Where's the logic in that??
And they're going to ban people from outside japan to play in the Japanese servers.

Man.. this gets really confusing.
Tyrlan

Since: 03-16-02

Since last post: 7542 days
Last activity: 7511 days
Posted on 08-02-02 04:05 PMQuote | Edit | Delete
Yea.... screw over Japanese-americans... way to go Gravity! I mean, they won't listen to the community, they won't make any changes or accept our help, they won't leave up the servers. I mean how hard is it to reboot the damn thing if something happens... just have someone check it once a day or something like that. Not to mention that the korean version isn't a finish product as it is.
Anyways, fLeXo no the alpha server project was caneled, because Sasami is making her own MMO.

God i'm glad I have a lot of other things to do...
Maybe gravity should just give us(the users) the code and let us go at it... it's be easyer and cheaper.
^Meta^

Since: 07-15-02

Since last post: 7923 days
Last activity: 7957 days
Posted on 08-02-02 04:20 PMQuote | Edit | Delete
lol!
I knew this was coming, everyone was in a rush to get beta 2 and they releaced before it was done and its just way to buggy.

That thing about banning international IPs from the Japanese server is just down right unfair of them. i know from reading all the posts in the free BBS they probably think that the whole world is nothing but a screeming bunch of idiots who can only seem to type words that start with 'f' and and end with 'k'.

I think its partly their fault for getting a bit of a slap in the face now..

Mahou Seitou

Posted on 08-02-02 04:31 PMQuote | Edit | Delete
Sigh...

One of the nicest-interfaced MMORPG that I found so far,
so much potential of growth... yet...
do they even look at the traffic they are getting? (that's like averaging 6000 people in one server)
^Meta^

Since: 07-15-02

Since last post: 7923 days
Last activity: 7957 days
Posted on 08-02-02 04:46 PMQuote | Edit | Delete
Well.. You gotta hadn it to them.. For even _attempting_ a multi lingual game on this scale. This is one BAD case of scope creap if you ask me (If you know what that is)

I'lll Bet this started out as a little Korean game for koreans and thats it.. but look how many people get on the servers im sure they did'nt plan on this at all.

But i guess they have the right idea now, finish what they planed to do _First_ get the korean server p2p up ASAP and start getting some cash. Then they can think about all the other servers.

Because if you think about it.. they haven't got a cent out of this game untill yesterday.
Tyrlan

Since: 03-16-02

Since last post: 7542 days
Last activity: 7511 days
Posted on 08-02-02 10:34 PMQuote | Edit | Delete
Creep is a good thing sometimes... if used right. But in Gravity's case it wasn't used right... I agree, they tryed to do too much too fast. Also their BIG problem was trying to host and Open beta. I mean those are all nice for tests and offline games, but for an MMO that wasn't even out of alpha, it was a huge mistake. Then again closed beta's arn't the best because you have everyone appling... but at least you don't have the same person with 5 accounts.
ParA

Since: 05-25-02

Since last post: 7556 days
Last activity: 7812 days
Posted on 08-02-02 10:41 PMQuote | Edit | Delete
Gravity should've made the beta private play when it reached 4k players on both servers. Right now our servers support the most players among all the servers Gravity has. Since there's alot of people here and Gravity isn't gaining anything in $$, they decide that it is too distracting to continue their international project.

--------------------
Withdrawl from forum boards is imminent. It is my final answer.
Chuckus

Since: 07-17-02
Rating: 10 (400 pts)

Since last post: 7624 days
Last activity: 7955 days
Posted on 08-02-02 11:46 PMQuote | Edit | Delete
man they basically just boosted revenues for their competitors. Pristin Tale just released (conveniently) their mmorpg for open beta test and apparently their servers aren't as laggy and international server gets good maintenance. They just pissed off a whole load of people. I dunno if they should even attempt to open up a p2p server in states or europe. I think they should just stick with asia until the end.
Chibi-Bar

Since: 04-16-02

Since last post: 7452 days
Last activity: 7409 days
Posted on 08-03-02 12:30 AMQuote | Edit | Delete
from the looks of it.. I personally think they are just trying to open to the asian market only cause there are "higher" numbers of gamers out there.. and can make more money.. games like starcraft and diablo 2 LOD skyrocket in korea.. so they figure why bother with opening the U.S. or Europe..

I figure the three months are cool down.. and then they are just going to abandon the project for the U.S. altogether :/ since you can clearly see it is not "money issue" since they are opening three new servers in the Asian countries...

server maintence itself is not "that difficult" I am a server admin for a school district.. we have over 20,000+ (since I work at a community college) students and faculties over 8 campus.. we restore backup on worst case.. but most of the time we have no problem maintaining.. most of the time I surf the web and read a lo ^^;

it is just a personal cop-out to me... I think they are done with the English community and ready to move back to the Asian community.

--------------------
Chibi-Bar

Your Local Merchant on Chaos/Loki
Quanta

Since: 04-09-02

Since last post: 7741 days
Last activity: 7493 days
Posted on 08-03-02 12:38 AMQuote | Edit | Delete
I hope you're all aware that closing the International Service is probably to force Thais/Taiwanese/Chinese/etc. to migrate to their own servers and get settled there, not to mention that by closing the International Service, you force beta-hoppers, hackers, and 12-year-old idiots to migrate to different games, leaving the good people behind to benefit from the servers when they finally go back up. It also allows Gravity to profit from their game after so long since they are presently paying for our servers rather than having a partnership with another company to run servers. With iRO down, Gravity now has the opportunity to not only make a little money for themselves, but also to find a potential BUYER for the International Service that can control operations in North America and possibly Europe since that company will probably know a helluva lot more about how to handle us than Gravity currently does. As a result, Gravity stands to make maximum profit from the Korean service, and royalties from every other service in operation around the world. From a business sense, it was probably a smart move since they're only losing money off of the International Service, but the trust level between us and Gravity will suffer as a result. Oh well, it's not like things would be much different if RO was a North American game...we'd get the benefits and the rest of the world would get shafted, so meh.

--------------------
Sasami

Goddess in Training

Since: 02-18-02
Rating: 10 (1030 pts)

Since last post: 7360 days
Last activity: 7360 days
Posted on 08-03-02 01:18 AMQuote | Edit | Delete
don't assume what you are told from gravity is always the truth, that's all i'm saying in this instance because there is more going on behind the scenes right now that they let on.
Quanta

Since: 04-09-02

Since last post: 7741 days
Last activity: 7493 days
Posted on 08-03-02 01:23 AMQuote | Edit | Delete
Sasami: Probably...I don't suppose you're privied to that info though, are you?

--------------------
MingShun

Since: 05-10-02

Since last post: 7408 days
Last activity: 7408 days
Posted on 08-03-02 02:56 AMQuote | Edit | Delete
Think about all the data that has to be backed up. About 10-20k worth of user info, maps...and other things that I can't think of. Restoring all this in a short time has gotta be a real hassle. If they aren't fast enough, the beta testers are gonna call Ragnarok Online low quality
Unfortunately, I think that means the server has to be restored in 5 minutes. Yeah, maybe 20 years from now, that'll be possible.

Yeah, maybe Gravity tried to push Ragnarok too fast...but I hope it comes up someday. I also hope they keep the korean admins. It wouldn't be Ragnarok without the Korean grammar.

--------------------
Wish I had a sig pic....
Magius

Since: 05-22-02

Since last post: 7703 days
Last activity: 8008 days
Posted on 08-03-02 03:09 AMQuote | Edit | Delete
I wonder if this is going to effect gravity's N.American market pulling the server away for that long. Then again i wonder if they even give a shit about the N.American market.

probably not
MingShun

Since: 05-10-02

Since last post: 7408 days
Last activity: 7408 days
Posted on 08-03-02 04:10 AMQuote | Edit | Delete
I'm sure they care somewhat. Why else would they let us on their servers? They even probably spent a lot of resources to move some of their servers to the U.S.

There's gotta be a market here. I'm sure they just have to find it.

--------------------
Wish I had a sig pic....
Chibi-Bar

Since: 04-16-02

Since last post: 7452 days
Last activity: 7409 days
Posted on 08-03-02 04:31 AMQuote | Edit | Delete
sadly I don't think the "close time" will move away the hackers and stuff.. when the game returns.. they will return.. since during the mean time they will find something else to do...

Also.. I'm not sure if it is the language or something... but they are saying that they cannot afford to run the iRO... but they are opening more beta in Simple & Traditional Chinese with Thai server.... ???

it is funny.. considering that the game is not "complete" they are releasing a very broken product.. that should also make you think

--------------------
Chibi-Bar

Your Local Merchant on Chaos/Loki
Mahou Seitou

Posted on 08-03-02 04:43 AMQuote | Edit | Delete
Moving servers by themselves aren't really that expensive...
Maintaining them (the rent and their programmers that may have to stay in the US, at least some of them) is the costly part.

I just went off a discussion with some players yesterday, and from a business point, I realized that having an open Beta while trying to collect revenue, especially since the P2P in korea has just started, is just bad business. (Why pay when they can log on overseas for free?)

One other point that the player mentioned was: "There are a lot of Koreans and Japanese on the international server", and that a lot of the problems "as in hacks and stuff" actually came from the korean side (they went to the international server after getting "fixed" locally) so there.

Then again they handled the thing "not too well".
If they wanted to concentrate on asian markets, fine and well, it's their business, it's just that why players from other countries have to "suffer" as well...
They could have barred Korean and Japanese IP's from the international server instead of the other way round. If they really wanted a stress test, I'd say the International server is a really good test-ground.

One true point is about the amount of gamers in Korea though...
Ultima Online had to set a few servers there in the past, despite their policy of "no servers outside of something" <-- if I am not wrong, this policy existed. I wonder what's their server load like (for Ragnarok) and how many servers they have locally in korea.
Chuckus

Since: 07-17-02

Since last post: 7624 days
Last activity: 7955 days
Posted on 08-03-02 04:47 AMQuote | Edit | Delete
The reason it doesn't cost them money to run other servers is that they have found independant companies willing to pay royalties to them to run RO servers. Those companies are not making a profit but are waiting for when they can run a Pay 2 Play server at which point the will make money.

They can't or haven' tried to find a company in N.America who are willing to pay royalties. Logically, an american company won't host a game that won't be massed advertised in America as it's chances of profitability are low. Either way, Gravity has been paying (or so they say) to support the eng server and are losing money (or not getting as much as they can). Of course, that's their story. It may /may not be true. I suspect that the bugs just got piled too high and they couldn't cope anymore. Pulled the plug and are hoping to return. But Unfortunately they burned themselves in process. well such is business. You win some you lose some.
Mahou Seitou

Posted on 08-03-02 04:51 AMQuote | Edit | Delete
Wonder how they do the language translation for the game..
If they have to re-code the whole game, I'd think it's rather silly.
(Else why the eng server is more buggy than the korean one?)
Pages: 1 2Next newer thread | Next older thread
Sasami's Ragnarok World Forums (LOCKED) - General Discussion - Well, after the recent new.. |
Edit/move/close/delete thread

Sasami's Ragnarok World

AcmlmBoard v1.7
© 2000-2001 Acmlm

Page rendered in 0.012 seconds.