Sasami's Ragnarok World Forums
Register | Login | Logout | Edit profile | Avatars
Views: 410016
Main | Memberlist | Member pages | Online users
Ranks | Chat | New Chat | FAQ | Search | Photo album
05-06-24 05:18 AM
Sasami's Ragnarok World Forums (LOCKED) - General Discussion - It is down... and in the hearts of many, for good |
Pages: 1 2Next newer thread | Next older thread
User

Since: 04-16-02
Rating: 10 (400 pts)

Since last post: 7460 days
Last activity: 7416 days
Posted on 08-05-02 10:09 PMQuote | Edit | Delete
yea... I guess working with new spirite would be cute just need a base model and work from there

Sasami.. my g/f and I will work on a few sketches (she will I will doodles heeh) and see what you think

--------------------
Chibi-Bar

Your Local Merchant on Chaos/Loki
Sasami

Goddess in Training

Since: 02-18-02
Rating: 10 (1030 pts)

Since last post: 7368 days
Last activity: 7368 days
Posted on 08-06-02 12:49 AMQuote | Edit | Delete
Originally posted by Galleia
But you know, that modifications to the Sprites isn't exactly legal o.o; You'd have to do it all from scratch if you guys were really considering to make one... Especially if you're planning to go public with it, I wouldn't do modifications to sprites.

Besides, that's cheap!

If you're gonna do it, you may as well do it all from scratch and be known for a real game, as opposed to something that was just tweaked here or there, art and all :o. I wouldn't be nearly as impressed with a game that just kinda stuck a few extra things on sprites from another game XD That's like, lazy. But one with completely new sprites, that's neat. Especially if they have anywhere near the level of detail that the RO ones do.

who said we where using other games stuff? -.-; we are doing everything 100% from scratch, my staff, and anyone who wants to submit stuff. We are even doing the sounds ourselves, which most companies DO rip from each other.
Galleia

Since: 07-12-02

Since last post: 7941 days
Last activity: 7941 days
Posted on 08-06-02 05:02 AMQuote | Edit | Delete
I never said YOU said that e.e!

Someone else mentioned doing sprite modifications after I mentioned that you must have some amazing artists on the team if you're going to try to compete with Gravity's artists (both desgin and in-game wise). !

If you're going fro scratch then more power to you, I was merely explaining that using graphics from another game and tweaking them was lame.
Sironin

Since: 05-17-02

Since last post: 7942 days
Last activity: 7626 days
Posted on 08-06-02 09:24 AMQuote | Edit | Delete
Someone seems to have taken me out of context...

I merely suggested that there were artists out there skilled in the art of sprites that had previously done sprite modifications of Ragnarok sprites that looked very good (however almost nothing like the original sprites).

And so, these artists could likely come up with original sprites just as easily.

And frankly it's not a bad idea to use stock graphics for development alphas until you get things properly debugged. It puts less pressure on artists to have EVERYTHING done before a final alpha is compiled.
Chuckus

Since: 07-17-02

Since last post: 7632 days
Last activity: 7963 days
Posted on 08-06-02 05:11 PMQuote | Edit | Delete
Ah... the classic Internet Misunderstanding Orgy. Home to forums all over the world wide web.
Galleia

Posted on 08-06-02 07:23 PMQuote | Edit | Delete
*Sighsigh*

I never said you said they were using them, either! I said, you "Mentioned doing sprite mods", and in response to that I said that they were neither exactly legal (in alpha or otherwise) or very creative. I never accused any of you of saying you WERE going to use them, and I merely stated that it wouldn't be right in either direction if you did. XP
Sironin

Since: 05-17-02

Since last post: 7942 days
Last activity: 7626 days
Posted on 08-08-02 03:44 AMQuote | Edit | Delete
In fact, they are perfectly legal. They neither represent, nor attempt to represent any character specifically copyrighted by any one company. Sprite mods are much akin to fan art in the respect that they are viewed as 'art' rather than 'copy' of the original work. Thusly, particular artists can even make a profit off of t-shirts, mugs, mouse pads, etc. all containing sprite mods (aka art).

If it were illegal to have slight deviations of things to exist, there would be many, many more monopolies in the world and very few patents or art forms. The richest people in the world would hold only a few copyrights, yet control nations.

Now if you care to discount all of human creativity and invention, by all means, refute me again.
Sasami

Goddess in Training

Posted on 08-08-02 03:49 AMQuote | Edit | Delete
that gives me a good idea, why don't i just go into gravities grf files, steal all the graphics, change 1 random bit somewhere in them to change one of the rgb colors up 1 on a random pixel, and hey, i have a new graphic :-p

(edited by Sasami on 08-07-02 10:49 PM)
Galleia

Posted on 08-08-02 09:21 AMQuote | Edit | Delete
Originally posted by Sironin
In fact, they are perfectly legal. They neither represent, nor attempt to represent any character specifically copyrighted by any one company. Sprite mods are much akin to fan art in the respect that they are viewed as 'art' rather than 'copy' of the original work. Thusly, particular artists can even make a profit off of t-shirts, mugs, mouse pads, etc. all containing sprite mods (aka art).

If it were illegal to have slight deviations of things to exist, there would be many, many more monopolies in the world and very few patents or art forms. The richest people in the world would hold only a few copyrights, yet control nations.

Now if you care to discount all of human creativity and invention, by all means, refute me again.

Sounds like a challenge.

You do realize that fan art was prohibited in galleries like elfwood because of the numerous legal problems that were presented by the artists doing so, and that they have policies whereas if they were to get one single more complaint on their hands, they would take down the whole fan art gallery.

Fan art is not a legal thing, but they let it slip by Modification on already existing things are not legal as they are not viewed as original, but people can get away with it if confronted merely through loopholes in laws. If it were entirey legal for people to mod things, then artists would be screwed if someone changed a single thing on their work and decided to call it their own, and make a profit off of it.
weapon01

Since: 06-18-02

Since last post: 7759 days
Last activity: 7788 days
Posted on 08-08-02 04:46 PMQuote | Edit | Delete
Originally posted by Galleia

Fan art is not a legal thing, but they let it slip by Modification on already existing things are not legal as they are not viewed as original, but people can get away with it if confronted merely through loopholes in laws. If it were entirey legal for people to mod things, then artists would be screwed if someone changed a single thing on their work and decided to call it their own, and make a profit off of it.

right on. i was wondering why no one ever mentions that. people don't seem to realize just about everything they do is in fact illegal, but it slips by because your not making money off of it (it usually costs the companys more to stop you then your gaining from thier work.). if you were making money of fan art it would not slip by.

--------------------
~weapon01
site: http://dkoro.cjb.net
forums: http://www.ixga.com
Sasami

Goddess in Training

Posted on 08-08-02 07:44 PMQuote | Edit | Delete
Kinda like doujins. Not legal, but the industry turns their back because it helps.
MingShun

Since: 05-10-02

Since last post: 7416 days
Posted on 08-12-02 11:33 PMQuote | Edit | Delete
doujin?

--------------------
Wish I had a sig pic....
Sasami

Goddess in Training

Posted on 08-13-02 12:06 AMQuote | Edit | Delete
fan manga, very often hentai. -.-;
MingShun

Since: 05-10-02

Since last post: 7416 days
Posted on 08-13-02 08:46 PMQuote | Edit | Delete
Oh...Thanks for the warning...

--------------------
Wish I had a sig pic....
Pages: 1 2Next newer thread | Next older thread
Sasami's Ragnarok World Forums (LOCKED) - General Discussion - It is down... and in the hearts of many, for good |
Edit/move/close/delete thread

Sasami's Ragnarok World

AcmlmBoard v1.7
© 2000-2001 Acmlm

Page rendered in 0.012 seconds.