Sasami's Ragnarok World Forums
Register | Login | Logout | Edit profile | Avatars
Views: 410016
Main | Memberlist | Member pages | Online users
Ranks | Chat | New Chat | FAQ | Search | Photo album
04-28-24 02:22 PM
Sasami's Ragnarok World Forums (LOCKED) - General Discussion - Opensource RO Servers? |
Next newer thread | Next older thread
User

Since: 05-06-02

Since last post: 7933 days
Last activity: 8012 days
Posted on 08-07-02 02:56 AMQuote | Edit | Delete
Why not? Sasami, how hard do you suppose it would be to partially emulate the RO servers? I'm not talking about something that could support thousands of clients, just a local server with it's own (small) character database, hell, an XML file would suffice.

Randomly spawn the right monsters in the right places, handle drops, character advancement, etc.

Basically, it would be the "Ragnarok Offline" that JtheD was always crying for.

Any thoughts?
Sasami

Goddess in Training

Since: 02-18-02
Rating: 10 (1030 pts)

Since last post: 7360 days
Last activity: 7360 days
Posted on 08-07-02 03:48 AMQuote | Edit | Delete
Yeah, I don't want to be sued something like that is a bit more noticeable ;
Count Zero

Posted on 08-08-02 01:57 AMQuote | Edit | Delete
Check this out: I started working on this a little bit ago, and here is a post on another forum describing my thoughts.

I don't think Gravity would be able to do much to me, as long as I developed my own client, server, database, and media files.

http://members.lycos.co.uk//middimensions/forums/index.php?s=427118303dea66ff9c548f3edae2c7ce&act=ST&f=6&t=42&st=0&#entry103
Quanta

Since: 04-09-02

Since last post: 7741 days
Last activity: 7494 days
Posted on 08-08-02 02:25 AMQuote | Edit | Delete
You could steal tons of ideas, but the general public will just call you a lame shit since you're not coming up with anything the LEAST bit original, but rather biting off of another company's good ideas, changing a couple of details around a bit, and then making some pathetic attempt to claim it "something new". Sure, you can avoid jailtime since it's not EXACTLY like RO, but the Previews and Reviews that it would get would end up tearing you a new asshole (metaphorical sense, of course) since it's basically a tweaked version of another game. In short, it would just be a "Ragnarok Clone" and not worth buying, especially if one already has RO.

--------------------
JtotheB

Since: 08-08-02

Since last post: 7934 days
Last activity: 7934 days
Posted on 08-08-02 02:35 AMQuote | Edit | Delete
I don't believe that this is so much as ripping Gravity off, as developing an opensource MMORPG server software for everybody to use. Basically, opening the door to tons of people who have the creative vision to create an MMORPG, but are lacking on the more technical side of things.

I believe that this would be a very good thing for the internet community. The doors of creativity would swing open, due to one less obstacle being in the way.

If you really look at this, it has nothing to do with Ragnarok Online at all. He's not interested in making a "Ragnarok Clone", he's providing a tool for MMORPG creation.

JtotheB
Count Zero

Posted on 08-08-02 02:38 AMQuote | Edit | Delete
Quanta: if I'd want to sell it, I wouldn't have called it "Opensource", eh?

Read my post again. Ok, now read it again. Let it sink in...

Nevermind, that skull is too thick.
Sasami

Goddess in Training

Posted on 08-08-02 03:37 AMQuote | Edit | Delete
where do you plan on getting all the graphics? A mmorpg isn't just an engine and database. As a matter of fact, you should write your own database and not use microsoft made one if you want it to be really optimized *shrugs*

[edit] and the type of ideas gravity has had is nothing new, so copying them wouldn't be illegal at all, using things directly from their client or server however would.

(edited by Sasami on 08-07-02 10:38 PM)
Quanta

Posted on 08-08-02 03:47 AMQuote | Edit | Delete
Count Zero: Har har. You're quick to judge with that "skull is too thick" remark, aren't you?

But you seem worried about jailtime if Gravity ever found out what you did. Why? You're only in trouble if your server/database software can circumvent Gravity's, and if that's the case, you shouldn't even discuss this project, or even make a public release of the source since someone will probably make a Free RO server with it, robbing Gravity of profits and getting them to take legal action against the person, and possibly you. An open-source MMORPG project is going to require it's own client, not just a server, so I'd make both if you're really serious about this project.

--------------------
Sasami

Goddess in Training

Posted on 08-08-02 03:51 AMQuote | Edit | Delete
There are multiple open source mmorpgs in linux fyi
Quanta

Posted on 08-08-02 04:12 AMQuote | Edit | Delete
That's all well and good for Linux users, but what about us Winblowz users? ;_;

--------------------
Count Zero

Posted on 08-08-02 04:14 PMQuote | Edit | Delete
The stuff about jailtime was meant to be humorous.

I plan on developing the server is a way that allows various clients to connect to it. There is little need for any agreement between client and server, regarding the actually display of the game events. My hope is that by providng a configurable server, other developers can focus thier efforts on writing compatible clients on various platforms.

Go ahead though, it's easy to bash when nothing exists yet.

I'm just collecting ideas, experimenting with code, and gauging the support I might recieve.
Sasami

Goddess in Training

Posted on 08-08-02 07:42 PMQuote | Edit | Delete
when you put it that way it sounds alot better
Next newer thread | Next older thread
Sasami's Ragnarok World Forums (LOCKED) - General Discussion - Opensource RO Servers? |
Edit/move/close/delete thread

Sasami's Ragnarok World

AcmlmBoard v1.7
© 2000-2001 Acmlm

Page rendered in 0.01 seconds.