Sasami's Ragnarok World Forums
Register | Login | Logout | Edit profile | Avatars
Views: 410016
Main | Memberlist | Member pages | Online users
Ranks | Chat | New Chat | FAQ | Search | Photo album
04-28-24 02:45 PM
Sasami's Ragnarok World Forums (LOCKED) - General Discussion - Interview with the vampire |
Pages: 1 2Next newer thread | Next older thread
User

Since: 07-15-02

Since last post: 7924 days
Last activity: 7958 days
Posted on 08-11-02 05:26 PMQuote | Edit | Delete
Well Luna from ragnaroksource.com had an interview with a Mr. Kim Hakkyu from gravity..

It is quite an intresting read.. I love how they are suddenly figuring out that they need to start returning a profit on all this expense..

[quote]
Luna: What are Gravity's main priorities for our servers?

neolith: Right now, the first priority is to fix bugs, then the next is to implement pay-to-play services in iRO.
[/quote]

If you ask me if they really did follow that we could be here a loooong long time
But at least progress is being made..
Sasami

Goddess in Training

Since: 02-18-02
Rating: 10 (1030 pts)

Since last post: 7360 days
Last activity: 7360 days
Posted on 08-11-02 05:40 PMQuote | Edit | Delete
Hehe, Christy told one of my friends on the phone the day after the interview that "he (Luna) is a spoilt kid" ; A little backhistory if I may bring up real quick. The Library of Prontera was one of the first big Ragnarok fan sites out there, well before RO-World as I remember. Well, after it was all made and became popular, Luna seized control of it because he owned the domain (i think), and kicked the other people out (and he was later kicked out by new people, which is kind of Ironic). So he and his accomplis decided to help out the people doing ragnarok source... did barely any work... and then claimed all the credit themselves and again, took control of the site. Well, just a little backhistory to those who havn't been around since then.

And I did read all the way through the two texts put up, and the one thing that surprised me (and I thought nothing gravity did could surprise me anymore) is that they arn't enlargening the world, just the dungeons. That world seems way to small for a commercial pay-to-play mmorpg imo. And gravity has no problem leaving bugs in a game that people are paying for, so why should they worry about making the world large enough that you couldn't explore it all in a week.
MingShun

Since: 05-10-02
Rating: 10 (400 pts)

Since last post: 7408 days
Last activity: 7408 days
Posted on 08-11-02 11:39 PMQuote | Edit | Delete
I dunno, some of those maps are practically empty...even with 4000+ people on the servers. Prontera though....

--------------------
Wish I had a sig pic....
RyuTsuyuki

Since: 08-12-02

Since last post: 7915 days
Last activity: 7884 days
Posted on 08-12-02 12:58 AMQuote | Edit | Delete
Indeed Library of Prontera was, I worked for it back in alpha (Guild list updater) God, everyone was guild crazy back then, had like 200 listed :x

I remember when a certain someone got angry when watashiwa started advertizing on our boards. And when he banned Thegleek (Certainly not a bad choice). Ah, good old alpha, I miss everything about it, even the websites
MingShun

Posted on 08-12-02 01:12 AMQuote | Edit | Delete
Wow, what was alpha like? I got hooked on the beta because of someone that enjoyed the alpha...

--------------------
Wish I had a sig pic....
^Meta^

Since: 07-15-02

Since last post: 7924 days
Last activity: 7958 days
Posted on 08-12-02 01:32 AMQuote | Edit | Delete
I like the idea of getting your character customized up as much as posible.. Although meeting 'clones' in these game can be some times a hilarious occasion.. Its pretty cool in like Pristion Tail when you buy new armour it shows the character wearing it. And each weapon has its own model.

So it saddens me that RO will only ever have one kinda of actual body per class (Although we may eventualy get to change the colour of them)

O well..
Sasami

Goddess in Training

Posted on 08-12-02 01:52 AMQuote | Edit | Delete
Everyone that played alpha misses it I think.. but most of those people are gone... the old gravity alpha site is still up i sometimes go there just to look. It's linked on my front page. All the real polotics of the ragnarok community did start right around when beta started.... *sighs*
HyperSauce

Since: 04-28-02

Since last post: 7734 days
Last activity: 7367 days
Posted on 08-12-02 07:01 AMQuote | Edit | Delete
Alpha was awesome. Although it didn't have the diversity of characters and items that its beta cousins did, alpha was pretty solid. It was fun going around killing Doppleganger for the 2h axe, Osiris cuz there were like 30 other ppl slashing him at once, and Baphomet for the sheer pleasure of being able to solo him with white pots and a lvl 40+ swordsman. Not to mention the odd time when I would train 30-40 mummies into a sitting crowd and log off...hahaha... I wish I took screenshots back then...

Other than the gameplay, the community was very small and easy to get to know a bit about. Can you guys remember the time when there were only 100 people on the server (200 at its peak)? Personally I never did know too many people there except for my friends who got me into the game. But most were nice and mature. And the languages that people spoke besides English were just fascinating, and it still is. Probably the best thing about this alpha community, was that there were no politcal issues! Or they were very minor at least.

What else about alpha...oh, all of the monsters from alpha are in beta I and II. Same with the items and classes. There were no skills, so the best class was either the ranged class (archer/thief) or the melee class with the best weapons (swordsman). Levelling was painfully slow...won't get into details of that. Let's just say it took all of alpha for some people like myself to reach over lvl 40. I don't know if anyone else got above lvl 50, but I never bothered to check anyway. The economy never rose above 10 million zenny, (although the zenny hack may have inflated it a bit), but I just speculate since there weren't too many people and stuff never sold for more than 100k; correct me if im wrong.

Uh, I think I shall get back to studying for exams now
Sasami

Goddess in Training

Posted on 08-12-02 08:49 AMQuote | Edit | Delete
I got to level 50 in about a month but... i played a lot.... it was an addiction.... no polotics, I have to agree that was nice. The game was there and not much else mattered... I don't think I ever got more than a million or 2, I spent a lot of time playing the market, buying items and selling them for up to twice as much hehe. I enjoyed playing the maket and it was easy the way there where so few people and the demand for items was high, and everyone was gathered in moroc by the inn anyways... i dunno, there was just something about the atmosphere that made it special. One of the things that killed me the most when I started beta.. was... people I had spent hours upon hours upon hours with in alpha... when I finally met them again in beta ... I was.. just kind of ignored, and that hurt... I dunno, beta just didn't feel right anymore. But nonetheless, I played it, more for the nostalgia and not and hopes that it could be as fun as alpha. Wishful thinking is just wishful thinking though... I probably would have quit a lot earlier had I not made my programs and felt an obligation to help out the community. *sighs*
RyuTsuyuki

Since: 08-12-02

Since last post: 7915 days
Last activity: 7884 days
Posted on 08-12-02 12:47 PMQuote | Edit | Delete
As much as I know it won't happen for awhile, I really do hope someone reverse engineers the Alpha client and makes a -=Private=- Alpha that I could be in. That way we keep the scribt kiddies and botters out ~_~. O and an admin that actually gives half a damn bout the users ^^;
Sasami

Goddess in Training

Posted on 08-12-02 08:36 PMQuote | Edit | Delete
That's the reason I have the alpha client up for download on my site, maybe someone would do it i had to take it down temporarily, but it will be back up at the end of the month. I would honestly take it as a project myself if I wasn't going to do my own mmorpg. hehe
MingShun

Posted on 08-12-02 11:23 PMQuote | Edit | Delete
I wonder why the community changed from Alpha to Beta. I woulda liked to play in that atmosphere. Here's another question though, did many people ask for your level?

--------------------
Wish I had a sig pic....
Sasami

Goddess in Training

Posted on 08-12-02 11:33 PMQuote | Edit | Delete
rarely.
MingShun

Posted on 08-13-02 08:50 PMQuote | Edit | Delete
Really? That's awesome!

--------------------
Wish I had a sig pic....
Chuckus

Since: 07-17-02

Since last post: 7624 days
Last activity: 7956 days
Posted on 08-14-02 07:00 PMQuote | Edit | Delete
I'm assuming the community got crappy since MMORPGS area becoming more of a fad now and less for "dweebs" as they have been classified. Also, Ragnarok's neat anime graphics make it a winner among most people putting their fears of looking like dweebs and not the "leet" CS players they "really are". To be honest, I find the multiplayer world is sickening. Whenever I seem to find a game full of dedicated players commited to having fun and sharing an experience with others it gets polluted by a bunch of acne hormonal raging teens all trying to shit on everyone else and prove their amazing gaming tactics by cheating. IT really festered in CS "I never played it tho" and it's been overflowing into other gaming communities. Infiltration, my favorite UT mod, was filled with a select 400 players really diedicated to it's realistic and non "run and gun" gaming atmosphere. Everyone was courteous and almost no cheats. Now CS players are leeching into it and complaining about cmaping and rushing all the time. The gae is designed to be like real combat, meaning a lot of camping and tactics. They cheat and ruin it for everyone. I hate it the game now. The whole community is united in trying to control the influx of retards but ti's too fast and too much. I think MMORPGs like everything else involving large commitments on societies part is good in theory but bad in practice. IT's a good way to make money, not to have fun.
Sasami

Goddess in Training

Posted on 08-14-02 09:15 PMQuote | Edit | Delete
I refuse to play open online games for that exact reason. I play all games directly in private connections with friends or at lan games. People suck ;
HyperSauce

Posted on 08-15-02 01:00 AMQuote | Edit | Delete
The Infiltration mod was really fun when it first came out. Personally I thought that mod would beat out Counter-strike because it was tons more realistic and not so deathmatch-like. Too bad that instead of having INF in cybercafes, CS is the popular mainstay.

The current RO community seems like a huge cesspool of guinea pigs... I mean, this seems like something that a bunch of psychology professors would create and analyze - this might be a perfect case scenario of a world where people are allowed to do what they normally can't do; to an extreme, to be inhumane to each other. Now, imagine what would happen if free-for-all player-killing was implemented, where you could just slay anyone, anywhere, at any time... This does assume that Gravity continues its lax methods of governing iRO in general...
MingShun

Posted on 08-15-02 04:20 AMQuote | Edit | Delete
INF mod?

--------------------
Wish I had a sig pic....
HyperSauce

Posted on 08-19-02 12:53 AMQuote | Edit | Delete
INF is short for the Infiltration mod. (supposed to be INFiltration)
MingShun

Posted on 08-19-02 11:16 PMQuote | Edit | Delete
Oh, what's it like?

--------------------
Wish I had a sig pic....
Pages: 1 2Next newer thread | Next older thread
Sasami's Ragnarok World Forums (LOCKED) - General Discussion - Interview with the vampire |
Edit/move/close/delete thread

Sasami's Ragnarok World

AcmlmBoard v1.7
© 2000-2001 Acmlm

Page rendered in 0.01 seconds.