Sasami's Ragnarok World Forums
Register | Login | Logout | Edit profile | Avatars
Views: 410016
Main | Memberlist | Member pages | Online users
Ranks | Chat | New Chat | FAQ | Search | Photo album
04-28-24 11:54 AM
Sasami's Ragnarok World Forums (LOCKED) - General Discussion - ideas for Sasami's rpg |
Pages: 1 2Next newer thread | Next older thread
User

Since: 05-18-02

Since last post: 7927 days
Last activity: 7997 days
Posted on 08-14-02 08:49 PMQuote | Edit | Delete
It would be so cool if you could actually develop a battle system that is not just point and click, so the final result is something like http://www.ro-world.com/rbo.swf . (imagine the lag ) Another nice thing would be no defined character classes, instead you become whatever you do. If you fight more then you will become better at fighting and you will learn skills based on fighting, if you use magic then you will naturally learn magic. After a certain point you could buy special outfits from npcs that boost the skills you learned from doing things and also change your appearance so people can tell what path you have chosen.

These might be kind of hard and time consuming to implement but they would sure be cool .
Magius

Since: 05-22-02

Since last post: 7703 days
Last activity: 8008 days
Posted on 08-14-02 09:08 PMQuote | Edit | Delete
omfg do u know how hard it will be to devise something like that? eeermmm what your describing is almost like a final fantasy style of character developement its like learning abilities you don't want to... which is kinda lame.

In all D&D worlds or fantasy world there has to be a class system to divide up fighters or it would just be too disorganized.
Sasami

Goddess in Training

Since: 02-18-02
Rating: 10 (1030 pts)

Since last post: 7360 days
Last activity: 7360 days
Posted on 08-14-02 09:18 PMQuote | Edit | Delete
sounds like UO ; my mmorpg is a special system not really used by anyone else yet. People will just have to wait and see what is planned. I really need to get to working on that more, right now my server and business has been consuming my time, but after I finish with those and they are a steady flow of cash with little to no work, it i will be easier to program and have money to spend on the development of the mmorpg.
Telgar

Since: 05-18-02

Since last post: 7927 days
Last activity: 7997 days
Posted on 08-14-02 09:18 PMQuote | Edit | Delete
Notice my little comment at the bottom . Anyway, they were just ideas.
Kaz

Since: 06-24-02
Rating: 10 (400 pts)

Since last post: 7508 days
Last activity: 7583 days
Posted on 08-15-02 12:36 AMQuote | Edit | Delete
Hmm, haven't seen the SWF yet. How about for the fighters a Tales of Phantasia system almost? A target system, and key combos for the fighters or just them punching to do death and a blocking/defend system (like street fighter). And if you want more diverse classes, why not have a evil/good system. The arch goods can have great defense skills, with some nice offense skills, and the arch bads can have mass destruction spells, but not many defense (like safety wall or firewall). There should be a class in the middle that gets a little bit of both but not enough to be able to replace.
HyperSauce

Since: 04-28-02

Since last post: 7734 days
Last activity: 7367 days
Posted on 08-15-02 01:34 AMQuote | Edit | Delete
Haha, crossover Seiken Densetsu 3 with Street Fighter Alpha.

Fun for the whole family, and the neighbour's cat.
Kaz

Posted on 08-15-02 02:39 AMQuote | Edit | Delete
Maybe like the RO battle... a mix between SFA, SD3, TOP (IE you choose your moves and have to have a combo for them... or can assign them a key combo (>,>,...space?), and maybe evilzone for anybody who's played that.
MingShun

Since: 05-10-02

Since last post: 7408 days
Last activity: 7408 days
Posted on 08-15-02 04:11 AMQuote | Edit | Delete
I was gonna suggest this idea to RO, but I haven't told em yet. How about a defend key (I dunno, right mouse click?).

So you can attack, attack, attack with the left mouse, then right-click to defend. The longer time you spend charging up a defend, the more damage you can remove, up to 60% I guess (so an enemy that hits 100 damage will only hit a 40).

Just an idea. G'luck.

--------------------
Wish I had a sig pic....
Tillumni Sephirotica

Since: 03-25-02

Since last post: 7715 days
Last activity: 7715 days
Posted on 08-15-02 05:46 AMQuote | Edit | Delete
wouldn't it be better to make it into block mayby?, so that you have to time your defend with the enemies attack, it would make the fight a bit more intens, and give the feeling that it's actually the player who do something, instead of just holding down a key, offcourse I don't know much about mmorpg, so don't know if it's a good idea.

--------------------
Elmikie, Spell artist, Path of Pearl, Stratika, keeper of guild lore and current leader of the Vezrejai mage guild.
Kaz

Posted on 08-15-02 06:30 AMQuote | Edit | Delete
This would take up a lot more AI (and gravity's servers were already overloaded [porings wouldn't be able to collect things and moved in random directions when the server was overcrowded as well as small thief bugs]), but I think some enemies(or all) should have an AI pattern. Maybe a ram technique for mad lunatic that places it on random sides of you while it tries to run into you. Some that makes them move while fighting.
RyuTsuyuki

Since: 08-12-02

Since last post: 7915 days
Last activity: 7884 days
Posted on 08-15-02 08:03 AMQuote | Edit | Delete
I dunno if anybodys put this in before, but how bout when private messaging you get a Avatuar? If the private message window is another window anyway ^^;
MingShun

Since: 05-10-02

Since last post: 7408 days
Last activity: 7408 days
Posted on 08-15-02 02:01 PMQuote | Edit | Delete
Yeah, I guess it can be used as a block...kinda throws off the strategic element though.

--------------------
Wish I had a sig pic....
Kaz

Posted on 08-15-02 05:21 PMQuote | Edit | Delete
Or a block with a shield that you move around... and it should only be something like -40%. Methinks private messaging should be like the olden days where it just appeared in your chatbox. I switched windows and died so much becuase of it.
Chibi-Bar

Since: 04-16-02

Since last post: 7452 days
Last activity: 7409 days
Posted on 08-15-02 05:27 PMQuote | Edit | Delete
funny thing is that there was an old game called "The Realm" I remember beta testing a while back.. it was semi-side scroll... it had an interesting concept... but the funny part is that when you go into combat... you "disappear" and enter a combat screen...

--------------------
Chibi-Bar

Your Local Merchant on Chaos/Loki
BakedBeans

Since: 05-03-02

Since last post: 7824 days
Last activity: 7754 days
Posted on 08-17-02 09:24 AMQuote | Edit | Delete
hmm, if you can make an MMORPG that'll have an income of $1 million+ a month, I'm pretty sure that a combat system such as that would be easy to produce
However you'd have to consider the design going into it. Do you want people around you to see you fight? Or do you hop into another server? How do you get it so that your party gets into fights together? Is the whole world 2D? 3D? How do you mix them? etc... etc...
I thought about it. It wouldn't be that hard for me to make but I need to finish making my game engine that'll run everything first

And as for the idea of an undefined class, I LOVE that idea. The perfect mmorpg for myself would have to be a game where there is no defined class (everyone can learn everything) and the combat system is more then left clicking with hack'n'slashing
As per Magius's comment, such a system wouldn't be disorganized as long as you designed it correctly. If it's a design just like Ragnarok except that you get access to learn all possible skills, that'll be disorganized right there
I have personally wrote a design to have undefined classes, and I already have more then 100 skills and they're all "basic". Probably after I had skills for swordsman, mages, priests, etc... it would well go over into the thousands of skills. But it's not just how my skills are organized into a very detailed tree, it's the way the user learns skills in this game design that makes it balanced

I guess I'll keep my designs secret too, just like you sasami
Although, I am skeptical because normally when a programmer says something like "it's a secret" it usually means it's not done yet

actually, I'm probably going to hold off my own mmorpg project (at least the implementation of it) and go back to improving the game I made back in college (old side-scrolling shooter). I'm upgrading it to a fast paced 2D mecha game with side-scrolling shooting and stuff (ever played Cybernator for SNES?). I'll also add lots of multiplayer stuff in it too
In fact, I've been so into it lately that the past 4 hours I have just been programming non-stop and created a very powerful rendering engine from scratch using directx 8 that'll render 2D sprites read from Targa files with alpha perfectly already
DaiSHi

Since: 05-03-02

Posted on 08-17-02 11:09 PMQuote | Edit | Delete
1000's of skills.... hope you got a lot of hotkeys ^_~. nwn had 36... hard enough to keep track of those alone.

--------------------
Loki: DaiSHi 49/38 future knight, H.O.L.Y.Merchant OC
31238 exp and counting...
Flower girls are the cutest... but not as cute as my Tina
Chibi-Bar

Since: 04-16-02

Since last post: 7452 days
Last activity: 7409 days
Posted on 08-18-02 02:21 PMQuote | Edit | Delete
well.. there are couple of ways of doing this really....

undefine class so far.... (at least that I know of) would be UO... Final Fantasy X did try with the sphere system (which it is possible that a person can learn all skills) I personally I like the "skill tree" at least what is in my head method.. it is possible for anyone to learn anything else... but the skill tree have each "class" skills organized into a tree base structure "pre-req near the top" and so forth... so person would spend skill points to "buy" the skill they want and walk down the tree... some skills have multiple "pre-req" to get... which will be cool.... thus.. it is possible to have a "multi-skilled" but not as strong as a person who concentrate into a single or two class

now.... short cuts....... best bet I can see would be using icon system similar to UO... that would be nice.... with a combination of "programmable" short cut keys (like you can "program" you own short cut keys like UO) but with a "queuing" (if that is a word) system similar to Sims... (you can select a lot of things and it will act accordingly almost same as NWN) and you can cancel out actions if it hasn't happen yet...

most online RPG would be almost hack and slash base since it would be faster.... but you can also gain exp via "mini-side quests" or even "selling/making" stuff.. as long it is balance out....

I think personally the hardest thing is to figure what is balance... would it be exploiting for a vendor to gain exp while trying to make stuff? (since it lose resources that you have to find but not purchase) how about a possible merchant making 1 exp per 1000 gold worth of stuff (but limit via timer.... thus you cannot gain more than 100 exp say per 30 min real time or something like that....

what about a collection quests? there will be "stuff" to pick up and "search" with certain skills (like herbal?) to find x plants (which cannot find without that skill) and turn it in for exp/gold reward?

--------------------
Chibi-Bar

Your Local Merchant on Chaos/Loki
Kaz

Posted on 08-18-02 10:40 PMQuote | Edit | Delete
Methinks it should be more than 1 exp. I also think that the skill tree should be point complex. An undefined class can get heal, bash, hide, but not a top level skill like sonic boom, or he could get sonic boom as well as all the other skills before that branch. Basically it's spreading butter. Spread too thin and you get a little of everything, but that's it. Concentrate it all and you can get one awesome ultimate attack and the ones below it, but that's it. Or you could have it half and half to where you get the best of two classes (HP recov and dodge O.O). Just brainstorming and repeating.
HyperSauce

Since: 04-28-02

Since last post: 7734 days
Last activity: 7367 days
Posted on 08-19-02 12:41 AMQuote | Edit | Delete
K.I.S.S

Keep It Simple Sasami
Sasami

Goddess in Training

Since: 02-18-02
Rating: 10 (1030 pts)

Posted on 08-19-02 01:02 AMQuote | Edit | Delete
Hate to say it but... i havnt exactly been reading the posts in this thread. Once people see what is already in the game then they can make suggestions, but for now, the game is mapped out how it needs to be :-\
Pages: 1 2Next newer thread | Next older thread
Sasami's Ragnarok World Forums (LOCKED) - General Discussion - ideas for Sasami's rpg |
Edit/move/close/delete thread

Sasami's Ragnarok World

AcmlmBoard v1.7
© 2000-2001 Acmlm

Page rendered in 0.016 seconds.