Sasami's Ragnarok World Forums
Register | Login | Logout | Edit profile | Avatars
Views: 410016
Main | Memberlist | Member pages | Online users
Ranks | Chat | New Chat | FAQ | Search | Photo album
04-28-24 04:29 AM
Sasami's Ragnarok World Forums (LOCKED) - General Discussion - Does a mmorpg need a plot in order to be good/fun? |
Pages: 1 2Next newer thread | Next older thread
User

Since: 05-03-02
Rating: 10 (400 pts)

Since last post: 7823 days
Last activity: 7753 days
Posted on 09-03-02 10:48 PMQuote | Edit | Delete
I got into a discussion with my boss about the mmorpg game I'm slowwwwwwwwwwly designing by myself

Basically whenever I start to talk about it, he always asks me what's the point or what's the plot of my game. My answer is "It's without a plot. This game is a game that players play however they want to. A totally open game where players can choose to fight, farm, cast spells, govern cities, become bandits, etc..." but this answer doesn't seem good enough for him
My game is where the user makes only 1 character. They don't start in a faction, nor do they start as a class, they work from the ground up and create the world that they play in, whether it be creating good or evil, order or chaos.

Now my boss, who's the project manager for the game the company I work for is working on, is a very respectful person in the game industry and a lot of people respect his decisions... but I'm just not sure I see his point of view on this. If my game is purely dependant on allowing the users to write the stories and play their own roles, and I've designed the tools in the game which allow them to do such things with the freedom they need to do it with, does this mean the game won't be fun for them?
He expects the game can only be fun if I put down a pre-written story or plot beforehand for the users to follow. If I make a game that's good vs. evil, and all the players have to choose a faction at the beginning, then the game will be fun, but I recall someone once saying that the reason MMO games are so fun is not just because it's a multiplayer game to a whole new level, but because they're so open-ended, and that players can do what they feel like doing in the game. I wanted to make a game like that where users aren't forced to join any side or any class at the beginning, and I didn't want to impose any sort of premade faction wars, premade guilds, Players vs. NPC story lines or anything like that.

Now, I'm not arguing that a game with 2 factions, good vs. evil, isn't fun, but I don't want to users to have to pick a side right at the beginning, or even impose my own story line in the game. So many times I've seen prewritten stories delivered badly. Either a story is being told that players have no part of nor influence on but it affects them in a large way (like leaders of 2 large factions are going to war, even though all of it's players are friendly with each other), or a story line made by players is suddenly taken over by GMs (A clan decided to become space pirates in neutral space, when all of a sudden GM ships started spawning out of neutral space stations and attacked everyone. When killed, they instantly respawned again out of the neutral stations fully equipped again. When players were killed they lost all their equipment, lots of money, and had to respawn back in their own faction space. Many people, especially the ones who became pirates, were furious with this because these "GM Pirates" were unfair to normal users because of instant respawns amongst other things. This game even had a news page and it only brought attention to these GM pirates whereas the evil pirate clan was being completely ignored even though EVERYBODY knew about them )

Now my boss always also asks questions like:
"Why do people fight the monsters outside of the town?"
"Why do people want to become blacksmiths?"
"Why do people want to make bigger and stronger characters just in order for them to fight bigger and stronger monsters?"
and my answer of "Because they want to" isn't good enough for him

Even so, I can't help but think about Ragnarok several times during this argument.
Why do people kill monsters in Ragnarok?
Why do we want to become blacksmiths, knights, etc...?
What makes Ragnarok such a fun game to play even though all we do all day long is level up our characters so we can fight the next stronger monsters?

The only answers I can think of for RO is because it's an intuitive game that doesn't take a genius to figure out the controls, because players don't need to do a whole lot of research to start the game unlike so many others (you pick 6 stats, a name and a hairstyle and you're in), and because of the environment you're walking in. In many other games it takes around 30 minutes in order for me to bump into another person. In Ragnarok I can walk across any map and meet at least 30 different people in those 30 minutes

I also think that Ragnarok is going to get even better once guild houses and guild wars are allowed

So, what do you people think? Does a game really need a plot or storyline in order for people to enjoy it? Do players really need a reason to fight a monster other then just to level up their skills?

I need some ideas so I can rebuttle against his argument for the next time

My boss also said that these answers to his questions would be something that would go on the back of the box for the game and that it's these answers that would get users to play your game, not because the game is just another stat builder with better graphics and more stats to play with

BTW, Sasami, if you're reading this, have you ever thought about this for your game?
HyperSauce

Since: 04-28-02

Since last post: 7734 days
Last activity: 7367 days
Posted on 09-04-02 01:36 AMQuote | Edit | Delete
This game you're designing reminds me of the Sim series by Maxis .

Originally posted by BakedBeans
So, what do you people think? Does a game really need a plot or storyline in order for people to enjoy it? Do players really need a reason to fight a monster other then just to level up their skills?

Now when you say 'game' in this context I'll assume that you mean MMORPG . And I shall refer to 'game' in the same fashion.

A game doesn't necessarily need some sort of plot or storyline.

For example, Ragnarok Online currently is based on the comic by Lee Myoung Jin, but there is currently no real story to follow. The side-quests (such as the Bunny Band quest) offer some variety to the game, yet they don't tell much of a story (e.g. history of the Bunny Band). So far, the only points to playing RO would be, in my opinion, is to explore a new world, become really strong, and meet new people (THIS would be my main reason for playing RO ). No real story, but a whole host of other things to enjoy.

Perhaps a consistent storyline would perk things up, and now I will use Diablo 2 as an example of this consistent story. I won't elaborate on the story. D2 had a really good tale to tell about the Three Prime Evils, and it was told quite well. But once you were told the story, you would have to play through it again and again and again. It got boring to hear about Diablo killing so many people 32 times and then slaying him in an instant. And for what? Blizzard focused on the gameplay for D2; getting cool uber items, levelling to level 99 to see your name on the Ladder, destroying everything in one shot, battling total strangers, and possibly a few more things (*cough* Ebay *cough*). Going over that story and killing Diablo a million times would mean you would get those items, power, and status. But it seems that's all the story is for, a catalyst for the real focus of the game.

There are some other MMORPGs that have variable storylines (I suppose they would be called 'quests'). I'm unsure of what those games are called right now, and I'm not too sure if Neverwinter Nights would be considered an MMORPG; perhaps more like a Dungeon Master game. Taking NWN into account, the story is up to the DM, however he/she wants it to flow or not flow. I can't say too much more about this, since I haven't played NWN yet, although the game seems to be pretty much in the DM vein. The Game Master(s) for MMORPGs can create some variation by directly intervening (the GMs in BakedBeans' example), or the players themselves can do stuff too (the evil pirate clan in BakedBeans' example). To have special events like the scavenger hunt in RO once in awhile serves to spark interest. Adding more places to travel such as dungeons and towns is good too. Occasional little additions and upgrades seem to go a long way (RO's Bunny Band quest). Whether these supplement the story or not will likely depend largely on popular demand.

To have a reason to play a game...it's up to the creator to choose from a vast arsenal of ideas. If it includes a story, that's good, but to have no story is also fine.

BakedBeans, I hoped some of those ideas above helped .
MingShun

Since: 05-10-02

Since last post: 7408 days
Last activity: 7408 days
Posted on 09-04-02 02:39 AMQuote | Edit | Delete
Wow, I like your boss

Tough call though, plot or no plot...
Here're some points...
1) I dunno, plots serve to enhance single player games well, but in a multiplayer game...I guess it'll work, but not as well. I mean, I played this game called runescape...there were a ton of quests...But, it got on my nerves when I completed a quest, came back and found someone else about to start the same quest. I dunno, it just felt wrong that a quest wasn't just meant for me. The moral: The NPCs must talk to one and only one person, you.

2) I'd say add quests (basically plots, don't have to be linear), they're icing for the game. The game doesn't need them to be fun, but a good plot makes the game better. If you can't write a story very well, complete with dialogue and everything, leave it out (post a story on a website and have people review it). A bad plot can annoy the player rather quickly. I just realized, you have to figure out your target audience if you want a plot. You have to cater to their preferences.

I mean, if I played a game and my char is an idiot, I stop playing pretty quickly...

3) Players play mmorpgs because they have a goal. Maybe it's because they want the rarest items, the best skills or the highest levels. You can ignore the plot for these players as long as you make attaining those goals fun. But I dunno if you want a game where players are constantly bragging about their levels and items...

I wanna say "weighing all factors" but those points are horribly biased. So those are my points supporting a plot! And some quick tips if you do. Hope this helps...It didn't for me...

Later!

--------------------
Wish I had a sig pic....
lagwagon

Since: 08-12-02

Since last post: 7564 days
Last activity: 7564 days
Posted on 09-04-02 02:48 AMQuote | Edit | Delete
i dont think an mmo needs a storyline. like hypersauce said, RO is "based on the comic by lee myounjin", but seriously... i belive an mmo could be more fun if it completely followed the soryline backing it, but i havent found one that does that yet. however, i have been learning more and more about neocron it is seems like it is following its story, but the story i read on the neocron homepage isnt very deep.... it begins you being greeted by a robot as a new nc citizen, then an experienced citizen tells you a few things about neocron. i guess its a simple story to sick to, so beans, you could try a simple story.
here, read the first section on this page. it is the nc story:
neocron

--------------------
       -=[chaos]=-
Kneo   ::  lvl 36/31 theif
Lagwagon ::  lvl 21/20 archer
:: lagwagon was here ::
Tillumni Sephirotica

Since: 03-25-02

Since last post: 7714 days
Last activity: 7714 days
Posted on 09-04-02 01:51 PMQuote | Edit | Delete
I don't think a strict plot is needed, but a background story might be a good idea, that way everybody have a common frame to Roleplay within.
you could also have plots, history and such things going on in the background,with quest relate to it. for exampel.
a: sabotage mission is launched on a nation, quest: defend targets, search for clues for who's behind it, or destroy target, foil people trying to find out who did it.
b1(sabotage succesfull): nation which was sabotaged is assulted and underequipped, because of the sabotage. quest: defend nation, get supplies, ekscort suply lines, or attack nation, or try to promate peace among the warring nation.
b2(sabotage not succesfull) nation which tried to sabotage is being attacked but have worse army then the other (the reason they used sabotage in the first way).
quest: as above

and this is for two nation/citystate/town/what ever you want
now imagien the possibility you have with a whole world.

offcourse, this actually requere active GM's, who can watch over how things change, and who also can controll NPC army in the invasions.

However no player is forced to follow these quest, they can still go around as if things never happened, if they don't want to participate, then they don't have to sign up for the quest, and go move to another part of the world until things calm down, some might use the oppurtunity to make a profit, if the economy is so dynamic that prize increas in a warring nation, there by attracting tradesman and merchant. (which also opens up for another kind of quest, make to nation go to war and earn money from the increase prize, or ekstend war, by fighthing on the underdogs side untill they are in top, then switch side, and foil peace negotiation, that other will try to protect)

--------------------
Elmikie, Spell artist, Path of Pearl, Stratika, keeper of guild lore and current leader of the Vezrejai mage guild.

(edited by Tillumni Sephirotica on 09-04-02 12:44 PM)
lagwagon

Posted on 09-04-02 07:11 PMQuote | Edit | Delete
wow.... interesting plot tillumni. well beans perhaps you can have someone write the plot for you. give them credits in the loading screen or somthing... perhaps you could ask tillumni to write one for you.

--------------------
       -=[chaos]=-
Mahou Seitou

Since: 08-02-02

Since last post: 7619 days
Last activity: 7619 days
Posted on 09-05-02 03:56 AMQuote | Edit | Delete
I for one feels that a general plot is necessary.

I am currently playing Dark Age of Camelot, and their plot lies simply around the battle between the three realms of Albion, Hibernia and Midgard. The object of contention? Power relics that once captured, grants bonuses to the Realm that owns them. This have led to massive 300 on 300 player battles sometimes (they call it a Relic raid)

I personally do not like PvP plays, and this system feels right to me. They have a normal "playzone" where you can level to the max, make friends, craft etc..
Then they have the Frontier zone, where you can go out and serve your realm, by defending keeps, or go on keep raids, or just farm mobs for gold to fortify your realm keeps. There are also plenty of quests where you can get cool equipments (better then ones dropped by monster in 50% of the case), and NPC's that gives tasks. There are also realm points which you get when you fight other realm characters, which can be used to purchase higher end skills, and gain realm rank.

So in summing, what's needed to be a successful MMORPG? The players has to feel they belong in it.

Like.. the questions asked by The Boss...
Is already answered in this game (those that was given here anyway)
True that we don't really need reason (as gamers), but reasons keep interest longer, and there's that sense of "belonging".

Why do you kill monsters out of town? (Aside from initial leveling, this is intuitive, they are the easiest ones, quest completion, ingredients for crafting etc)
Why do you level up? (Cause you wanna beat up people from the other realm before they take your keeps)
Why do you fight more powerful monsters? (Get better drops, for quest items, gold!)
Why do you craft? (Earn gold, supply your Realm mates with better equipment to fight invaders/ do raids, because in DAoC, crafted items are slightly better than drops, and when their spellcrafting comes out, sould go on par or better than quest items)

So as we can see.. in this setting, there's one common plot (The three realm fights, for control of keeps, relics, and certain area which is only available to the realm with the most keep.) You don't have to follow it, but you can, and are contributing to it, directly or indirectly. Most importantly, they give an outlet for the highest level people! (Imagine what you'll do as an Uber highest lev character in your server if you got nothing else to do?) If all the games are of similar type, then it's fine, but once I tried this system, I really liked the concept, and it's hard to turn back. People in each realm are friendlier to each other, as they have a common goal, even more generous. Like, I have this stranger who gave me lots of gold, which to me was like a treasure chest fell on me. At low level, compared to RO, one gold is like getting 1000 z, and he just dumped 100 gold on me when he saw that I was crafting. "For your crafting fund", he said. That's like.. 100000 z dumped on a lev 10 in RO. Why dis he do this? Because ultimately, he's investing on the possibility that I can make it to be a very good crafter, and will be able to provide better arms for him, his guild and the realm. (Though RO is somehow, still my fave, maybe cause it's free? ^^

Ultimately, I got this feeling that people just want to fight with each other ^^; Conflict creates interest, unity within factions, and incentive to fight other factions. Sad but true.

I am trying my hand at game plot writing.. and have been brewing some ideas, hopefully they will come to fruition, and when i need em programmers, I guess I know where to look now don't I? .
BakedBeans

Posted on 09-05-02 09:14 AMQuote | Edit | Delete
ah, Mahou Seitou gave me the answers I was looking for

A user needs to have a sense of belonging in the game, and this mechanism needs to be easy to the user so they can go "I belong to the red team". This way they're suddenly given a purpose in the game with a whole bunch of allies, yet at the same time a whole bunch of enemies as well as.

One game I use to play which had no factions but open PK rules was a game called mankind (www.mankind.net). Don't play it unless you enjoy playing a horrible game which makes you suffer (I had to do it because the boss told me to. Market research they called it )
Anyway, this mmo space strategy game had no rules in it. You could shoot whoever you wanted, but the drawback is while you're offline the enemy could wipe out your base while you're sleeping (the AI was extremely horrible too). Anyway, my point is that in mankind, the problem with that game was always if someone attacked you, you'd label them as a jerk. They said "I'm a pirate", and 99% of the time people would respond "No you aren't! You're just a jerk who blew up my base without warning". Even if you're warring guilds, you'd still think the attacker was a jerk, but that's mainly because when you go offline, you're base is basically defensless with such bad AI unless you packed the borders of your space with 5000 turrets
However in the DAOC example, if someone attacks you, you won't label them as a jerk because you both have no choice to attack each other. They are the enemy and you must fight them. Faction vs. Faction battles are also a lot more fun in PvP combat

Even if I did set it up where users can make such a faction war (like a huge PK guild attacks the castle of the anti-PK guild), I haven't yet designed a mechanism which makes it easy for the user to join a side freely. Plus, the bad guild will always be labeled as a PK guild full of jerks and griefers, not as an evil empire seeking world domination.

However, I did come up with an idea while typing this, let me hear your thoughts on it:

In my game, I have several different groups of skills users can have. Each group usually has a skill which is directly the opposite of that group. Here's a few examples of the groups you can join and their counterpart:

- Nature vs. Machine -
The Nature group are the people who learn nature magic. Their houses are the trees. This is basically a night elf race
The Machine group are mostly blacksmiths and engineers. People who build things out of the earth.
The conflict is that machine needs wood, but nature doesn't want to let them have it, thus they are enemies.

- Holy vs. Demonic -
This is pretty self explanatory. One side worships god, the other worships satan. Why wouldn't they be enemies?

- Fire vs. Water -
The classic battle between 2 of the most important magical elementals.

Now, what I was thinking of is what if when a user starts the game that they are completely neutral. If they want to learn newer and stronger skills, they need to join one of these groups. The upside of joining a group is that you get all sorts of new teachings, skills and allies, but the downside is that there's another group that doesn't like your way of doing things. It's a small price to pay to get a whole new skill set. I also don't want to force the user into choosing 1 group and permanently staying there, they can quit and join another if they wanted to (but if a machanist tried to join nature, he'd most likely have a hard time doing it if he had a big reputation as a forester )
so what do you think of that idea? I suppose it could be even better with a little work.

BTW, your description of DAOC has tempted me to go play it to see what kind of game it's like. I'll see if I can play it on the weekend
Mahou Seitou

Since: 08-02-02

Since last post: 7619 days
Last activity: 7619 days
Posted on 09-05-02 12:19 PMQuote | Edit | Delete
Heh...

You won't get to see any major RvR (Realm vs Realm) actions until you're level 15 at least If you need a bit background help, I am playing at Iseult server, Midgard realm. Name's Drogath and i am a Dwarven Thane. (I'm still level 10 though, just started out this game for 1 week +, max being level 50)

DAoC has a few server types, normal being the most common.
Then they have PvP (where you can fight members of you own realm)
Roleplaying (ain't sure of what's the difference)
Test server (you can copy your character in here once to
experiment)
Once you choose a server, choose a realm and you may have up to 4 characters, but only of the same realm. (You may choose other realms in other servers)

Your Classic struggles ideas are fine, but if possible, try to get more than 2 major factions. Maybe Fire, Earth, Wind, Water? (4 factions). Also you'd need to find a way to "Isolate" areas for each faction so that the people who prefers not to PvP can play their game peacefully, get rich and powerful in their own right. (and maybe contribute in other ways). Then again, I'd say try DAoC yourself for size, it should give you quite a few inspiration.

There also has to be objects of contention, something to fight for (aside from "being natural enemies") like the relics in DAoC.

One more thing about MMORPG, once you go to the PvP way, be prepared for a lot of "their class is unbalanced" kind of comments, mostly complaining that their class is weak compared to others. (You just have to read game forums to see this phenomenon).

One other game that I'd be wanting to try will be Horizons. It's not out yet unfortunately.

(edited by Mahou Seitou on 09-05-02 08:37 AM)
Chibi-Bar

Since: 04-16-02

Since last post: 7452 days
Posted on 09-05-02 09:20 PMQuote | Edit | Delete
to plot or not to plot.....

well. I personally think that any game should have some sort of background info... like why this kingdom does this and that....

(standard good vs evil thing)

now.. how does the players relate to this world you are making... also.. some people like their world evolving... (which can be hard to do) like NPC changes.. rules changes (i.e. taxes and such) or waring states, nations, or race....

you can have side stories (like UO is doing) to effect or even change the course of event over time.. where many players can help either side to make things happen (i.e. joining up with opposing side which can be either good or bad)

you can also have if possible monsters attacking town or what not.. NPC getting married and changing the rules of a kingdom... there should be side stories and ability to "effect change" I always thought it was funny every single player can finish the same quest and nothing happen to overall events... (like rescue missions and such) how many time will that princess be captured (gosh.. sounds like Zelda) hehe

one of the things I have in mind is creature counts.. if certain group of people keep hunting the same creature.. less and less will spawn... (down to a number) or if hunted less spawn more (upto a number) like changing the probability of X monster spawning and have Y monster spawn instead.... that would be interesting that you might have groups defending the dwindling X monsters

who knows.. its your game.. make what you like.. have a variety of testers and you probably might come up with something original

--------------------
Chibi-Bar

Your Local Merchant on Chaos/Loki
lagwagon

Posted on 09-06-02 12:26 AMQuote | Edit | Delete
well mahou, you have also tempted me to try DAoC
is it in open beta? if so, what is the site, if not, it is P2p or do you purchase the game at a retail store, and how much does that cost?
well i dunno why im asking, because ill probably just go on google and find out after this post... but its better to hear from someone on the inside.

[edit] ok i just checked out the site.. you purchase it for like 30 bucks, but do you still have to pay to play?

--------------------
       -=[chaos]=-

(edited by lagwagon on 09-05-02 08:36 PM)
BakedBeans

Posted on 09-06-02 01:59 AMQuote | Edit | Delete
1st month is free... and please remember that NO mmo game will not have a subscription attached to it.

*BakedBeans is installing it right now

Back on topic, I do have several elements planned to make it an immersive game. Plans such as rich players can actually build their own cities (this will be very expensive, probably so much that only a guild of 50+ members pooling all of their resources can create a city of their own). I'm also planning it so that cities can be raided, and that includes capitol cities which are guarded not only by the users that live there, but a large 500 or more NPCs.

anyway, I'm gonna play my new game now >.>
~ciao
lagwagon

Posted on 09-06-02 02:28 AMQuote | Edit | Delete
no mmo? i thought that diablo2 was like this: you buy the game, get the cd-key, and thats it, you play whenever you want, however long you want, and never get charged a dime again...

yes, yes, back on topic.....
i think the idea of players building their own cities is great, but it could be abused, wouldnt you think? unfortunatly, the internet community is like that =(
and about the npcs, 500 per city?? what kind of computer/connection/db do you intend to have the server running on? or is 500 not that much of a load for a good cpu these days? (heh sorry i dont know much about AI, but i think it is absolutly fascinating and would like to learn more about it soon...)
anyway, i guess the city building feature would work, if you make the figures astronomical to build one. (e.g.: avg. person's cash throughout the server = 80k, to build city it is 9,500,000[currency]). thus, a guild really would need 50+ members, all who are wealthy. yes i suppose it would be hard (and wasteful) to abuse it. but on the other hand, what would be the point of building a city? what advantages do they get. its not like somone is going to pay an incredible amount of money just so they can say they have a city...
anyway, im very interested in your mmo beans. keep us posted on it.

--------------------
       -=[chaos]=-
DaiSHi

Since last post: 7359 days
Last activity: 7359 days
Posted on 09-06-02 02:43 AMQuote | Edit | Delete
Originally posted by lagwagon
no mmo? i thought that diablo2 was like this: you buy the game, get the cd-key, and thats it, you play whenever you want, however long you want, and never get charged a dime again...

last time i played that's how it was.... bnet's always been free, a good thing.

--------------------
Loki: DaiSHi 49/38 future knight, H.O.L.Y.Merchant OC
37385 exp and counting...
Flower girls are the cutest... but not as cute as my Tina
Chibi-Bar

Since: 04-16-02

Since last post: 7452 days
Posted on 09-06-02 04:27 AMQuote | Edit | Delete
but I don't consider Diablo2 LOD to be MMO .

I consider it to be a partial RPG/Shooter type..

--------------------
Chibi-Bar

Your Local Merchant on Chaos/Loki
lagwagon

Posted on 09-06-02 05:11 AMQuote | Edit | Delete
yes it is good that battlenet is free, but im sure the game creators lose a lot of money on computer generated and hacked cd-keys. and in response to chibi, i dont see diablo as a shooter type at all... although i havent played in some time, i see to remember it being 3rd person point and click to kill monsters...? or is it possible im thinking about another game. probably. my head is lost, they brainwashed me at school today.

--------------------
       -=[chaos]=-
AlainCh

Since: 06-05-02

Since last post: 7612 days
Last activity: 7612 days
Posted on 09-06-02 12:54 PMQuote | Edit | Delete
My 2c? .... Mercenary army ...

I like a peacefull world like Ragnarok ..
But
....consider to have an (always) battle going on ... betweeen two (??servers??) on a separate space.
Any character can engage the army of one of the two factions' mercenary armies ... ... (??depending on his skills/qualities??)

So, when you sign on and join the army, for a set period (??10 hours??) you get paid for it ... you will gain experience and Items ... etc ... when you fight. Harder you fight more you get.

Adventurous people will go to war lazy one will stay home

War will be held out of the peacefull world. So when you sleep nobody can wipe your ass.

AlainCh ( that's the best part of Rag ... you'll return and 'll find everything like you left

(edited by AlainCh on 09-06-02 09:20 AM)
Tyrlan

Since: 03-16-02

Since last post: 7542 days
Last activity: 7511 days
Posted on 09-07-02 02:48 AMQuote | Edit | Delete
I'll pipe in here.

First off, here's what your boss is probelly thinking. Games in general always need a plot/storyline. Now with MMO's one of the hard part is convincing a person that has always made a game that has a storyline/plot (start, middle, finish) that the game is just going to be there for people to do what they want with. The best thing to do is to find a nice mid ground. Having a huge background story (What came before your world?) helps a ton with this, but while you want the people in the game to affect it's course you also want to have a short of looming threat to show them that there is something "bigger" things going on in the world. Plots in MMO's usally center around area/race conflict, because it's easyest to explain to people as being a "storyline" but at the same time have it keep going for more then a few hours.

As for the nature vs machines... there's a few good fantasy books that do stuff like this and it would be really cool to see in a game. You might also want to throw in a third race that try's to blend tech and nature (magic?). I know it's alittle corny, but it has big places it can go and also would be a transitional place if a character wanted to switch sides. Also remember that the higher level you get in either side it should be harder to go to the other side. Basicly explained as: Growing love/hate for the other side while learning one.

Also remember that you need something different to attract people into the game. Weither it's graphics, story, in game options, skills, etc... But making it fun keeps them there.

Personally I don't like PvP, but I see it as a nessacary evil to attract people to games. Currently with the game i'm working on designing, it's a standard RPG, but it's being designed as part 1 of 3. With a Part 4, that whould be a MMO. Basicly this give's 3 RPG's worth of storyline as backup for the MMO... so people will know a lot about where everything is and why it's there. Also it helps explain the overall plot of the MMO. Also I've designed the MMO as 2 parts, so basicly I know the first stage that I want it to be, and I know where it's going... but just have to figure out how to get the players to make it go there. (Gotta love tricking people)

I'll admit this is a pain to do, but from the start of designing this game I realized that it was just too big for 1 RPG.
DaiSHi

Since last post: 7359 days
Last activity: 7359 days
Posted on 09-07-02 03:49 AMQuote | Edit | Delete
just don't be pointless like priston tale X_x. but generally the urge to be a high lvl like l0cke or make a name for themselves like JtD get people into a game, but graphics, user interface, interaction with other players, difficulty, plot, and replayability keep them playing. Unfortunately, PT pretty much lacked in all those areas XÞ, which is why i stopped playing. try to find something different or focus in on one area well. diablo 1 was great for the random map generations. i liked RO because of merchants/OC/DC and the anime style. NWN has endless possibilities with the modules, not the mention 36 hot keys =). ultima gave you a chance to have your own castle, if i remember correctly. just make your game special in some way, and the people will come.

--------------------
Loki: DaiSHi 49/38 future knight, H.O.L.Y.Merchant OC
37793 exp and counting...
Flower girls are the cutest... but not as cute as my Tina
lagwagon

Posted on 09-07-02 06:40 AMQuote | Edit | Delete
i quit PT for the very same reason, daishi =P.
and im gunna give NwN another chance because i only played it for like 15 mins... but 36 hotkeys? man that would give me a headache...
i never got the chance to play dia1 or UO, but i really don't have any interest in those games, so there =P
anyway... i dont suppose ill have much to say to you beans. sounds like your problems are resolved and i have no ideas anyway... so i say this: good luck beans, good luck
(oh yeah and if it is successful in beta, and it goes to p2p or retail... do you think you can hook me up w/ your game for free? hehe)

...yeah i know im a bum

[edit] oh yeah and i forgot to mention that i noticed sasami is either gone off somewhere or being quite silent the last few days. where are you sasami??

--------------------
       -=[chaos]=-

(edited by lagwagon on 09-07-02 02:47 AM)
Pages: 1 2Next newer thread | Next older thread
Sasami's Ragnarok World Forums (LOCKED) - General Discussion - Does a mmorpg need a plot in order to be good/fun? |
Edit/move/close/delete thread

Sasami's Ragnarok World

AcmlmBoard v1.7
© 2000-2001 Acmlm

Page rendered in 0.011 seconds.