Sasami's Ragnarok World Forums
Register | Login | Logout | Edit profile | Avatars
Views: 410016
Main | Memberlist | Member pages | Online users
Ranks | Chat | New Chat | FAQ | Search | Photo album
05-06-24 02:46 AM
Sasami's Ragnarok World Forums (LOCKED) - General Discussion - Does a mmorpg need a plot in order to be good/fun? |
Pages: 1 2Next newer thread | Next older thread
User

Since: 05-03-02
Rating: 10 (400 pts)

Since last post: 7367 days
Last activity: 7367 days
Posted on 09-07-02 03:39 PMQuote | Edit | Delete
well... u get to see teh picture of the skill for each hotkey, so that's nice... but as a sorceress i use pretty much all the keys... from lvl 1 to lvl 10 spells

--------------------
Loki: DaiSHi 49/38 future knight, H.O.L.Y.Merchant OC
38375 exp and counting...
Flower girls are the cutest... but not as cute as my Tina
Tyrlan

Since: 03-16-02

Since last post: 7550 days
Last activity: 7519 days
Posted on 09-08-02 01:46 AMQuote | Edit | Delete
36 hotkeys is nothing... DAOC you get 1-0 for hot keys and then SHIFT 1-0 as different sets.... so basicly around 100 hot keys. Sad thing is by the time I was lvl 20 I was using like 40+.

PT had an interesting style, and idea. It seemed more like and alpha test though, content wise. Sure you chould build a castle in UO, but the problem is that people tooks up ALL the house spots in the game in like a week or 2. This is one real problem I see with online houses... there's just NEVER enough room for everyone to have one, and some people can't afford to play 24/7 for a week or 2 to get it right at launch
MingShun

Since: 05-10-02
Rating: 10 (400 pts)

Since last post: 7415 days
Last activity: 7415 days
Posted on 09-08-02 03:23 AMQuote | Edit | Delete
You could make a large neighborhood of like 24 (12*2) houses. But they would only be for aesthetics. At the entrance gate, you can have the player specify which house he would want to go into; maybe a name or a house number. Of course it'd be more fun to walk among the houses, but it does solve the space problem, kinda.

--------------------
Wish I had a sig pic....
Tyrlan

Since: 03-16-02

Since last post: 7550 days
Last activity: 7519 days
Posted on 09-08-02 05:50 AMQuote | Edit | Delete
I'm working on this problem ammong others for my game... I'm thinking each town will just have suburbs where people can rent out houses and such. But you will still run into the space problem. You can do it like AO and everyone has an apartment, but they are all in the same entrance. ;;

I know that in my game I will have Inn's and stores that players can use/occupy/run, which almost should be standard in every MMO... but it still dosn't help with the housing problem. Maybe just have a full server dedicated to houses
Mahou Seitou

Since: 08-02-02

Since last post: 7627 days
Last activity: 7627 days
Posted on 09-11-02 02:47 PMQuote | Edit | Delete
I also rather like the idea of owning Property in MMO's
DAoC's looking into that too, and as for number of NPC's in town... the largest town that i'd been in has like around 100+ NPC I guess..
(That's Tir Na Nog in Hibernia, Galahad server)
Heh.. changed my realm.. Hibernia's much sunnier and nicer compared to Midgard, and the monsters come in clumps too (Hommura, Bard lev 14, Hiberna Galahad)
Having property would mean extra space to keep your equipments, a place to share with "online spouse". Place to put your NPC merchant, and other stuff. Also one reason for the player to "defend" the town I guess, if your game has a lot of direct PvP in it (as opposed to the indirect PvP in DAoC).

I also kinda agree on the quests getting "replayed" too often, this is one really difficult spot to tackle though, with like let say 1000-2000 people playing on one server, you'd need like 25*2000 = 50000 unique quests for them (assuming like 1 quest for every 2 levels, and a max level of 50), which would be kind of highly impractical to implement. I also like the idea of quests that alter the world if enough player completes it for example, which will lead to other headaches in implementing a "morphing universe", Which would actually be very cool when implementable. For example, a quest on killing certain bugs that has been plaguing the water supply. Once enough bugs are killed, the water supply would be clean, and later on maybe "haunted" by bug ghosts or something.
(Oooo look at that all those clues to solving quests will turn obsolete over time as those quests dissapear, replaced by new quests) You could do it I guess, it will just take very good base programming (for robustness of change, as until now, all MMO's actually exist in a pretty much static world), and people who generate ideas regularly. So this will be a "higher maintenance" world.

Try to cater to the general needs of the players.
DAoC's coming with a "Cooperative" server, where you can play any class in any region (like there I can use a Midgard Character and play on Hibernia Land, WITH other Hibernian Character.) There I will be able to see the "enemy" style being used in the same team as myself!
So there you go, though DAoC is geared towards PvP (as in Realm v Realm), the company is willing to devote time and resource creating a server for people who totally abhorr PvP to enjoy.

As for the info asked (late reply here been busy playing ), Price was stated by Bakedbeans already. First month free play, subsequent month 12+ US dollars if paid monthly, 33+ if you pay lump for 3 months (11+ p/m), 60+ if you pay for 6 months (10+ p/m) Go to www.darkageofcamelot.com

(I love tradeskills...)
Pages: 1 2Next newer thread | Next older thread
Sasami's Ragnarok World Forums (LOCKED) - General Discussion - Does a mmorpg need a plot in order to be good/fun? |
Edit/move/close/delete thread

Sasami's Ragnarok World

AcmlmBoard v1.7
© 2000-2001 Acmlm

Page rendered in 0.016 seconds.