Sasami's Ragnarok World Forums
Register | Login | Logout | Edit profile | Avatars
Views: 410016
Main | Memberlist | Member pages | Online users
Ranks | Chat | New Chat | FAQ | Search | Photo album
04-28-24 05:23 PM
Sasami's Ragnarok World Forums (LOCKED) - General Discussion - Sequels that didn't cut it |
Next newer thread | Next older thread
User

Since: 05-10-02
Rating: 10 (400 pts)

Since last post: 7408 days
Last activity: 7408 days
Posted on 09-22-02 01:06 AMQuote | Edit | Delete
I just found an old soundtrack cd that I made. Ah, Chrono Trigger had such great music. Sigh, I was on mirc when I found out that they were making a sequel...

Chrono Cross, I waited for it and bought it on the first day! And I didn't have a Sony PS... I finally played it, but it wasn't what I was expecting. C'mon that's not battle music! It's a buncha instruments playing off tune! And what happened to the old characters...

Ever get the feeling they should have been better off without making a sequel? I have fond memories of chrono trigger, such good memories that chrono cross hasn't tainted them. But I refuse to believe that chrono cross is a sequel...it's just wrong. Too many characters, different gameplay, crucial but poorly chosen music, and the script...don't get me started. T_T There are no more rpgs.

*sniff* I'm ranting...I'll stop now. Hmm, would someone else like to rant?

--------------------
Capporing

(edited by MingShun on 09-22-02 01:19 PM)
Tyrlan

Since: 03-16-02

Since last post: 7543 days
Last activity: 7511 days
Posted on 09-23-02 12:20 AMQuote | Edit | Delete
Ummm well I've had that same rant off and on for years. But I have found that some sequals are really worth the time and effort of them. PE2 would be one in my book. Also Star Ocean 2 was great.... and the next one looks really good. Also Dragon warrior games are good. Chrono Trigger wasn't really a disapointment to me, because I knew that they weren't going to do it as great as the first one (it's basicly impossible anyways)

XenoSaga is kind of disapointing, but well it's only part 1 of 3 leading up to xenogears, so you can't really take it until all 3 parts are out.
Also it helps if they plan to have a sequal before they start/finish the first game.

Scripting, as i'm finding out, is a pain in the ass to get right. First you have to know what you want all your characters to be, and then you have to find the right way to word those things in their talking and actions. Also you have to nitpick (well that's the fun part) EVERY single scene and how they act/respond to things. Because if they suddenly change for no reason a player will notice. Personaly I had to remove 5 (playable) characters from my game because there were just too many conflicts in where I wanted the game to go and how it was going with those characters in the game. This is also a reason why we see very linear storylines, as branching causes lots of problems.
MingShun

Posted on 09-23-02 01:01 PMQuote | Edit | Delete
So Chrono Cross was a mess up because it had too many characters...what a waste of time then. Star Ocean 2? Hmm, I read the reviews...it had good music and all, but I heard the plot wasn't really that strong. Ah well, I should form an opinion after I play the game. Just need to find the time now. Thanks Trylan, your information was quite helpful.

--------------------
Capporing
Tyrlan

Posted on 09-24-02 10:56 PMQuote | Edit | Delete
Well I think Chrono Cross was messed up (like most new rpg's) by the newer graphics engine and not having everyone from the first game return to work on the second. Newer RPG's, before the new DVD systems, all seemed like that they had to cut back on storyline/choices so that they chould fit everything for the newer graphics onto the disks. As it is they usally used 2-4 disks. Chrono Cross had a slug of character (most wern't that useful to me) but that seemed about it. It was basicly a character hunt game, where the first one was about the storyline and trying to get all the different endings (only 7 or was it 9 endings in CC.) Last I heard they still havn't found all the endings in CT.
Kaz

Since: 06-24-02

Since last post: 7508 days
Last activity: 7583 days
Posted on 09-25-02 03:05 AMQuote | Edit | Delete
I'm still on the first disc and only have to beat the white dragon now. All the characters aren't bad, although most of them are spam I guess. I liked it as a sequel, shame barely anybody has that FMV that shows why they're connected.
Kasatka

Since: 09-25-02

Since last post: 7616 days
Last activity: 7873 days
Posted on 09-25-02 04:48 AMQuote | Edit | Delete
For some reason, I could never bring myself to sit and play that gamefor more than five hours. This disturbed me slightly, which is unusual - it wasnt a BAD game, it just didn't capture my interest like Chrono Trigger did. I guess it jsut didt make it's point fast enough. Not enough direction.

I liked Suikoden 2, which had something like 110 characters to be found. While I never found them all (yeah, duh). it wasstil la good game because it... heh.. didnt take five hours to make it's pointless.
(I'm sorry. I shouldn't say 'pointless'.)

Perhaps it just failed to drop you into the middle of a situation like in CC- not enough 'umph' or something.

What I'm I still talking? Oops. I stop now.

-----
Jas vedonya.

(edited by Kasatka on 09-25-02 12:53 AM)
ParA

Since: 05-25-02

Since last post: 7557 days
Last activity: 7812 days
Posted on 09-25-02 12:32 PMQuote | Edit | Delete
Most of the best games were on the Snes. Some games werent meant to be 3d i guess hehe

--------------------
[QUOTE=Medivh The Last Guardian,?]As for me, I came back to ensure there would be a future. To teach the world that it no longer needed guardians. The hope for future generations has always resided in mortal hands. And now that my task is done, I'll take my place amongst the legends of the past...[/QUOTE][IMG]http://www.mipross.org/hostedfiles/ParAssassin.gif[/IMG]-[color=red]ParA
, Shamistic Dragon
Sasami

Goddess in Training

Since: 02-18-02
Rating: 10 (1030 pts)

Since last post: 7360 days
Last activity: 7360 days
Posted on 09-25-02 02:37 PMQuote | Edit | Delete
snes forever!
MingShun

Posted on 09-25-02 03:43 PMQuote | Edit | Delete
yay

--------------------
Capporing
Tyrlan

Posted on 09-25-02 09:19 PMQuote | Edit | Delete
In 2 simple words Sasami has captured the feelings of millions of gamers
Kasatka

Posted on 09-25-02 10:18 PMQuote | Edit | Delete
Has anyone ever used a Superscope 6? THat's the coolest light gun I've ever used, and while it is kinda tricky to get used to, and used six AA batteries, and there aren't that many games for it... ummm... it's got a cool box... and...

this is what I get for not thinking.

Oh right, and speaking of sequels that didnt make it, has anyone ever used a virtual boy? I heard those things were the best 3D video game console out there for your money but caused eye damage after a half hour of continious use.
Has anyone here ever used one?

Anyway - SNES all the way!
Booyeah!

(edited by Kasatka on 09-25-02 06:21 PM)
MingShun

Posted on 09-25-02 10:30 PMQuote | Edit | Delete
fer real? I remember a virtual boy that did 3d, but there was no color. Just red lines on a black background. Hoo boy, it cost a lot too.

And It looks like you liked using a superscope, but ya gotta come up with better reasons than that On second thought, the phrase "coolest gun" might get me to a store...

Whee! hahaha.

--------------------
Capporing
Kasatka

Posted on 09-25-02 10:38 PMQuote | Edit | Delete
Yeah, VB was only red lines, but it was 3D like in a hologram, so that would make mw want to have a look, even if only for thirty minutes.

The SS6 is definately the 'coolest gun', but sadly it's really hard to find and, as I said, games are limited, as it was never really that popular and has been out of production for something like a decade now. I guess what made it cool was that it's size made it accurate so you sould use it from >30 ft. away (space and you aim permitting) since it was remote and didnt have a firggin' wire.

It's a great collector's item, but don't pay more than $50 w/o knowing you can get a game as well.

-----
One man's many views.
('Been using too many commas. Sorry.)

(edited by Kasatka on 09-25-02 06:39 PM)
Next newer thread | Next older thread
Sasami's Ragnarok World Forums (LOCKED) - General Discussion - Sequels that didn't cut it |
Edit/move/close/delete thread

Sasami's Ragnarok World

AcmlmBoard v1.7
© 2000-2001 Acmlm

Page rendered in 0.016 seconds.