Sasami's Ragnarok World Forums
Register | Login | Logout | Edit profile | Avatars
Views: 410016
Main | Memberlist | Member pages | Online users
Ranks | Chat | New Chat | FAQ | Search | Photo album
05-05-24 05:36 PM
Sasami's Ragnarok World Forums (LOCKED) - General Discussion - question about computer engineering |
Next newer thread | Next older thread
User

Since: 05-30-02

Since last post: 7632 days
Last activity: 7671 days
Posted on 12-03-02 02:48 AMQuote | Edit | Delete
hey anyone here taken computer hardware engineering in college or anything like that?

if u are then can u post like a review about it, anything good or bad about it?
can people post a review or something on their course that they're taken in college or uni.

i'm planning to become a computer hardware engineer but dunno if its right for me
just checking if there is any other career more suited for me? i've already check those career crusing site but there is too much choices. i'm not sure what i'm into.

--------------------
Have u ever look up into the sky at night and wonder......damn why the fuck am i looking up at the sky for.....sheesh....then you slowly walk back to your bedroom and fall a sleep
MingShun

Since: 05-10-02
Rating: 10 (400 pts)

Since last post: 7415 days
Last activity: 7415 days
Posted on 12-03-02 04:47 AMQuote | Edit | Delete
Agggh! I've gotta headache from all the resistors, capacitors, and inductors...and that's just the basic level. I'm sure it'll be easier to build the darn components, but if I can't figure out the time needed for a signal to reach threshold, well I'm missing something important.

Ouch. 1st year was a breeze. 2nd year is when you start pulling your hair out and cursing at the books.

Word of advice, do your homework. Then do some more. Trust me, you'll encounter many variations...and the homework that's assigned won't be enough.

--------------------
This is my signature, what else do you think it could be?
RedSn0w

Posted on 12-04-02 03:29 AMQuote | Edit | Delete
so do u just learn about the parts only?
anything else? details
i wanna get all the info and anything about it so that i feel more confident

so where u planning to get a job after u finish all the courses?

--------------------
Have u ever look up into the sky at night and wonder......damn why the fuck am i looking up at the sky for.....sheesh....then you slowly walk back to your bedroom and fall a sleep

(edited by RedSn0w on 12-03-02 07:30 PM)

(edited by RedSn0w on 12-03-02 07:32 PM)
MingShun

Posted on 12-04-02 04:11 AMQuote | Edit | Delete
The parts as in their names? That's only a small part of what you're going to learn. You're also going to learn their properties.

What do components do? Take a transistor, extremely valuable in computers...how do you connect it? How does it react to a greater whole? Will adding another affect performance, and how so? It's a lot to take in.

What do a group of components do? I'm sure you'll learn to recognize patterns.
Perhaps the resistor capacitor combination will be used for timing.

I think you're also going to learn to program, especially in assembly.

You're not limited to Computer hardware engineering though.

You can use computer hardware engineering as a stepping stone for further majors too. Let's see...perhaps AI. Maybe robotics.

Or, you can combine with another major. Like writing There's a columnist that knows what he's doing. How about chemical engineering? Maybe you'll design hardware that doesn't react to air as easily.

It's not much, yet it's alot. Sigh...

I suggest you keep you options open. And please ask me to clarify. I'm listing some very broad topics...some off topic.

--------------------
Magius

Since: 05-22-02

Since last post: 7710 days
Last activity: 8015 days
Posted on 12-04-02 05:04 AMQuote | Edit | Delete
engineering = lots of calculations and shit load of studying
programming = staring at the monitor for a long time staring at scripts and text figuring crap out
networking = me... i'm a restless guy so i prefer the handson work of a networker i can't imagine myself sitting down and staring at codes and calculating theories 8 hours a day it'll drive me insane... engineering is a bitch hardest of them all but pays the most from what i know.

i suggest you pick something that fits your character and not go into something you'll regret

of course this is just my opinion on these subjects they can all really cross over each other in many ways.
MingShun

Posted on 12-04-02 05:44 AMQuote | Edit | Delete
Hmm, from my notes:
The engineer is a problem solver in the domain of technology
1) The central activity of engineering is design
2) The primary motivation for design is the creation of an object that works.

Yeah, the calculations help make an object work. As for the studying, the stuff is tangible. Unlike writing, you can see how things affect each other. The question is, can you recognize the patterns?

Programming - Pretty darn exciting getting an old box to perform new tricks. And once you learn one language, you can immediately jump into another. I mean, you don't have to relearn what a variable is. Just how to make one. I suggest sticking to one or two at a time though. Easier to pick up the little things.

Networking? The things I can mention. Protocols, Standards, there's a lot of things to know. Heck, there's a ton of RFC papers out there that you have to read. That stuff requires a lot of studying.

Yeah, when you learn engineering, expect to spend hours of time figuring things out. The great thing is that you don't notice the time go by.

Darn. I look like I support engineering 100% I don't. I'd rather doodle and play games.

But use your knowledge to find a good job. Me? Playing Games and Programming. What do you think I'll be?

--------------------
RedSn0w

Posted on 12-06-02 03:36 AMQuote | Edit | Delete
hardware engineering deals a lot with group work right?
like if u do get a job it usually working with a group and trying to create a new computer or something? or do u just like sit in a office and figuring things using blueprints and stuff

i'm not really sure what i like
programming is too boring for me
i love playing games, no doesn't?

i'm a hand-on person that what i found in some class that i took. dunno if its right though.

--------------------
MingShun

Posted on 12-06-02 12:12 PMQuote | Edit | Delete
Hmm, teamwork is a big part of today's society. I think that yes, hardware engineers work with others.

I think that as an engineer, you'll be assigned a task...and it's up to you and your groupd to figure out how to complete it. I dunno, maybe you'll work in teams...or you'll break the project into even smaller components that one can easily handle.

As for the blueprints, I think that you'll be making them too. That, and model prototypes to sell your idea for more funding.

--------------------
Kasatka

Since: 09-25-02

Since last post: 7623 days
Last activity: 7880 days
Posted on 12-14-02 11:53 AMQuote | Edit | Delete
Jeeziz ming you sound exactly like me. I spend most of my class time doodling when I have nothing to do. And... even some times when I do... :p

Think that one person can do the job of three in three times the time?
Wrong. Three people have six hands. One person has two. Ever tried to hold two wires and solder at the same time? @_@ Not too bard as long as you have heavy thigns handy. But soldering and rocks rarely mix.

I'm taking a Grade 11 ELX course in HS. I'm not IN grade 11, but the course is new this year so whatever. It's cool. Right now we're working on building Jacobs' Ladders. You know those sci-fi thingies with the arc going up the two poles? That's a jacobs' ladder.

There is a lot of capacitors and transistors and photoresistors (dont see many of them, mind you) and ... ahhhhhhhh frig there's that headache!

Etching is the most tedius and boring part of the job. Gotta draw everything out and draw it in using resist... And even then it may not work. I'm sure a better lab has more reliable equipment, hell equipment at ALL would be nice. We're using a plastic tub and an aquarium air pump...

Oh well. Not bad for G12.

Anyhoo I'm trying to learn about all that stuff Ming went over but I'm not making a lot of headway with my personal study. I did quite well with 3DS, maybe I just need to work at it more... Got sooo many projects to do... anyway it's my problem . I'll post more later, if I remember.

Anyway I jsut pssed out for a minute or... five. Gottta sleep. later all.
-----
Dosvedonya.
Next newer thread | Next older thread
Sasami's Ragnarok World Forums (LOCKED) - General Discussion - question about computer engineering |
Edit/move/close/delete thread

Sasami's Ragnarok World

AcmlmBoard v1.7
© 2000-2001 Acmlm

Page rendered in 0.011 seconds.