Sasami's Ragnarok World Forums
Register | Login | Logout | Edit profile | Avatars
Views: 410016
Main | Memberlist | Member pages | Online users
Ranks | Chat | New Chat | FAQ | Search | Photo album
05-08-24 02:00 PM
Sasami's Ragnarok World Forums (LOCKED) - General Discussion - What is Rune-Midgard? |
Next newer thread | Next older thread
User

Since: 05-10-02
Rating: 10 (400 pts)

Since last post: 7418 days
Last activity: 7418 days
Posted on 04-26-03 11:34 PMQuote | Edit | Delete
Country? Continent?

I remember seeing links to this kind of information...but when I need the information, I can't find it

Does anyone have any idea?

--------------------
I love dreams.
rgmxp

Since: 04-03-03

Since last post: 7682 days
Last activity: 7688 days
Posted on 04-27-03 09:35 AMQuote | Edit | Delete
Just the name for the entire world of Ragnarok I think
MingShun

Posted on 04-28-03 04:13 AMQuote | Edit | Delete
Hmm, that sounds reasonable

--------------------
I love dreams.
SevenSins

Since: 05-18-03

Since last post: 7661 days
Last activity: 7661 days
Posted on 05-18-03 02:05 AMQuote | Edit | Delete
The creation of midgard.

In the beginning there was no earth or heaven, no sand nor sea nor cooling waves. There was only Ginnungagap, a great void. In the north there was Nilfheim, and from Nilfheim's spring flowed eleven rivers, known as Elivagar. As the rivers flowed south, they cooled and hardened into ice. In the south, there was the world of Muspelheim, a firey world. The northern part of Ginnungagap became filled with the ice and hoar frost from the Elivagar. When that ice formed and was firm, a drizzling rain arose from the venomous rivers and poured over the ice where it cooled into rime, and one layer of ice formed on top of the other throughout Ginnungagap. The southern part of Ginnungagap was lit by the sparks and glowing embers which flew out of Muspelheim. Where the heat from the south met the coolness in the north the ice was thawed and it began to drip and by the might that sent the heat, life appeared in the drops of the running fluid and this fluid formed into the likeness of a man. He was given the name Ymir.

As the frost continued to thaw another form was created. This form became a cow called Audhumbla. From her teats flowed four rivers of milk and it was upon this that Ymir was fed. While he fed, Ymir slept, and while he slept a male and female frost giant grew from his armpits and one leg fathered a six headed troll with the other leg.

Audhumbla lived by licking the ice-blocks which were salty, and by the evening of the first day there appeared a man's hair where she licked. On the second day, a man's head appeared, and by the third day the whole man was freed from the ice. This man was called Buri. He had a son name Bor who married Bestla, who was the daughter of the giant Bolthurn. Bor and Bestla had three sons, Odhinn, Vili, and Ve.

There was great strife between the offspring of Ymir and the children of Bor and Bestla. Odhinn led his brothers against Ymir and they killed him. Ever since that time there has been hatred and enemity between the gods and the giants.

Odhinn and his brothers dragged Ymir's body into the void. His flesh became the earth, his blood the sea. His bones became the mountains, his hair the trees, and his teeth the stones. Odhinn and his brothers discovered maggots living in what had been Ymir's flesh. They turned these into the dwarves and dark elves and these beings reside in the depths of the earth, mining the ore and minerals beneath the mountains and hills. The world of the dwarves is known as Nidavellir and the world of the dark elves is called Svartalfheim. Odhinn and his brothers also discovered some fine creatures living in the soil formed from Ymir's flesh. They named these creatures light elves and placed them in the world known as Alfheim. As Ymir's blood flowed, it created a flood that killed all the giants, save one. Bergelmir escaped with his household and they made their escape in the first boat, a hollowed out tree-trunk.

The sons of Bor then took Ymir's skull and fashioned from it the sky and set it over the earth. Under each corner they placed a dwarf and it is from the names of these dwarves that we get the directions, North, South, East and West. The sons of Bor then took the sparks and burning embers that were flying about and cast them into the midst of Ginnungagap to light the heavens and the earth. They gave stations to all the stars and planets.

They then fashioned a world for the families of giants and this world is known as Jotunheim. Away from this land they fashioned a stronghold to surround the world, to defend it from the giants. This land was fashioned from Ymir's eyebrows, and it is called Midgard. They then took the brains of Ymir and cast them into the air and these became the storm-threatening clouds.

Definition is just Middle-earth.

The rune part is unknown to me, why to put it in there. I only know of runes meaning as they stand for power, maybe the thing Midgard lives on, although I've yet to see runes in Ragnarok

(edited by SevenSins on 05-17-03 07:07 PM)
MingShun

Posted on 05-18-03 02:19 AMQuote | Edit | Delete
Woah! That's great! Thanks a lot.

--------------------
I love dreams.
Chuckus

Since: 07-17-02

Since last post: 7634 days
Last activity: 7966 days
Posted on 06-11-03 02:30 AMQuote | Edit | Delete
Midgard and ragnarok are all things from Norse folklore. The runes are also mythical items from Norse folklore. I think the game designers just stuck Rune and midgard together. But they're origins are linked. It was kinda funny playing Rune, that hack slash game made from unreal tournament. Kept talking about ragnarok, the end of the world. It felt odd for me.
Sasami

Goddess in Training

Since: 02-18-02
Rating: 10 (1030 pts)

Since last post: 7370 days
Last activity: 7370 days
Posted on 06-11-03 06:20 AMQuote | Edit | Delete
reminds me of max payne
<.<
>.>
O.o
Chaos

Since: 01-01-04

Since last post: 7430 days
Last activity: 7430 days
Posted on 01-03-04 02:53 PMQuote | Edit | Delete
what a great story~*

--------------------
Lets Start Ragnarok Adventure~!*
Next newer thread | Next older thread
Sasami's Ragnarok World Forums (LOCKED) - General Discussion - What is Rune-Midgard? |
Edit/move/close/delete thread

Sasami's Ragnarok World

AcmlmBoard v1.7
© 2000-2001 Acmlm

Page rendered in 0.016 seconds.