Sasami's Ragnarok World Forums
Register | Login | Logout | Edit profile | Avatars
Views: 410016
Main | Memberlist | Member pages | Online users
Ranks | Chat | New Chat | FAQ | Search | Photo album
03-29-24 02:45 PM
Sasami's Ragnarok World Forums (LOCKED) - General Discussion - Why do people insist on stealing from Gravity? |
Pages: 1 2Next newer thread | Next older thread
User

Since: 07-22-02

Since last post: 7510 days
Last activity: 7842 days
Posted on 06-07-03 05:05 PMQuote | Edit | Delete
What is it with everyone going to all this time, trouble, and effort just to steal RO time from Gravity? For all the work and intrest people are putting into "Private" servers, they could easily do some useful work for $13 a month and play the legitimate server. What is it about Gravity that sucks so hard that everyone wants to rip them off? What'd they do to you?
Sasami

Goddess in Training

Since: 02-18-02
Rating: 10 (1030 pts)

Since last post: 7330 days
Last activity: 7330 days
Posted on 06-07-03 10:27 PMQuote | Edit | Delete
read logs of the site, your questions will be answered
Suzuran

Posted on 06-18-03 09:14 PMQuote | Edit | Delete
This question has been answered, but I don't have a useful reply to the answer yet. I'll post one if and when I can think of one.

I am sorry things went so badly for you, though.

Aisu

Since: 06-26-02

Since last post: 7519 days
Last activity: 7514 days
Posted on 06-19-03 08:23 PMQuote | Edit | Delete
There a numerous of facts in which causes people to play these private servers instead of a legitimate server.

First fact is not everyone can afford to spend an extra 13 dollars a month. Mind you, Ragnarok Online consists of people ranging from children to adult. Those adults who are probably less fortunant and that are on their own probably would want to save money instead of spend it. So in this case, they look for private servers so they can play for free instead of spending money.

Second is that children's parents may not want to spend money for them. Hence they look for private server.

Third is Gravity's poor service, and constant faulties that they express. Sure they're improving at some things...but then they're also falling on other subjects. Some private servers could be more stable than the iRO and such...and may have less bugs and such. Even if there was a bug on the private server that would benefit a player, they wouldn't care.

Fourth is that some people are permanently banned and still want to play Ragnarok online.

Fifth is because some private servers are actually near close to the kRO version and have things that the iRO server doesn't. Q Pet system...Guild Castles...Comodo/Comodo patch...etc, can be all found on some private servers.

Sixth, some people don't like the current community of Beta2 because of the poor quality, compared to the Alpha version.
Kasatka

Since: 09-25-02

Since last post: 7586 days
Last activity: 7843 days
Posted on 06-22-03 06:51 AMQuote | Edit | Delete
That reminds me of private/Cuban health care. It may not be totally legal, but it can often be better than the real thing, and, like health care, if you go to a smaller organization, you can often get you're looking for.

It's a pity, but it's a lot easier to appease the masses if the masses are... less...
massive.
-----
Well put, Kasatka, you idiot.
Buy a thesaurus.
Chibi-Bar

Since: 04-16-02
Rating: 10 (400 pts)

Since last post: 7422 days
Last activity: 7379 days
Posted on 07-30-03 01:26 PMQuote | Edit | Delete
sadly.. the private server have more features and even better Customer service that live servers. I have play a few.. there are virtually no lag (less people) and more stuff to do..

what it is true that the private servers are like kRO which have all the features built in... unlike iRO which are like 2 years behind or something.. sad isn't it?

--------------------
Chibi-Bar

Your Local Merchant on Chaos
MingShun

Since: 05-10-02

Since last post: 7378 days
Last activity: 7378 days
Posted on 08-01-03 03:46 PMQuote | Edit | Delete
It takes a bit of time to translate from Korean to English. But I don't know whether the lag behind the main server is justified because of the translation time.

--------------------
Ming Bling - Knight of Chaos

Ye Royal Dealer - Your Local Warp-Hopping Merchant
Chibi-Bar

Since: 04-16-02

Since last post: 7422 days
Last activity: 7379 days
Posted on 08-13-03 07:13 PMQuote | Edit | Delete
I don't know.. I find it way harder to translate Korean to Japanese.. or even Korean to Chinese...

doesn't Singapore have their own server? (couldn't remember) they are english speaking country. (love the place.. nice and safe place to live.. expensive but nice)

Or korean to Thai for that matter.... I know Thai (being part) and the writing and language structure is WAY different than korean.. and have more constenence and vowels (like over 100)... I would think it is way easier to translate to english than to Thai..

--------------------
Chibi-Bar

Your Local Merchant on Chaos
MingShun

Posted on 08-15-03 02:44 PMQuote | Edit | Delete
I don't know Korean...so I can't confirm your theory.

But the countries are really close to each other (maybe an hour flight away)...that can help translation speed, methinks. Although with the net, distance is not as good an excuse...

I heard that Singapore did have their own server, and that it was open beta at the time. But maybe it was another country, I don't remember.

I do know that most of the asian countries have way more players than iRO though. That and a positive attitude may definitely help speed updates. Lol, they can't seem to do enough to please the iRO players XD

--------------------

Aisu

Posted on 08-24-03 04:14 PMQuote | Edit | Delete
From what I can tell......

Since most private servers are up to date on translations [100% full english], then Gravity [should] have no problems translating either.

Mind you, Gravity is left with mostly just reject-staff members, since the CEO of Gravity left along with many supporters of his.
Suzuran

Posted on 08-25-03 06:02 PMQuote | Edit | Delete
It's not so much translation as it is bugtesting; I dunno exactly.

I will be finding out tomorrow. I leave tomorrow for LA, where I have a job interview at Gravity.

Wish me luck!

MingShun

Posted on 08-25-03 08:04 PMQuote | Edit | Delete
G'luck!

--------------------

Aisu

Posted on 08-28-03 04:40 AMQuote | Edit | Delete
yay! G'luck!

Now we have our own SPY >=)
MingShun

Posted on 08-29-03 03:39 AMQuote | Edit | Delete
Methinks "Spy" is too strong a word. Perhaps..."Subtle information gatherer" would be better ^____^

--------------------

Suzuran

Posted on 08-30-03 06:29 AMQuote | Edit | Delete
Uguu~~ That's kinda rude. Besides, it's not like anything really uber-secret gets posted here anyway. If anything, consider it as having someone who actally ANSWERS questions / relays things to people.

Interview went reasonably well - Christy is a nice person, in person. They tell me which way they decide sometime within the next week.

MingShun

Posted on 08-31-03 06:53 PMQuote | Edit | Delete
-_- sorry...

--------------------

Suzuran

Posted on 08-31-03 07:56 PMQuote | Edit | Delete
Hehe, it's OK. You have to do more than call me names to get me mad

In any case, to answer the prior questions, here's why iRO is "behind":

(Note: Gravity LLC = Gravity in LA that runs iRO. Gravity KR = Gravity Korea.
Gravity LLC and Gravity KR are completely different companies.)

1) Gravity LLC does *NOT* have access to AEGIS source code. They CANNOT make patches on their own, and they are not supposed to change the AEGIS script AT ALL without the dev team's OK. (The dev team is all employees of Gravity KR)

2) Bugs are patched by having the GM team positively identify a bug and it's entry conditions, enter this data into a form, and file the form with the dev team. The dev team is obligated to handle the bug report over the next several days.

3) iRO has a disporportionately high amount of user issues which require GM attention, thus distracting them from performing the steps in item 2.

If you plot iRO's updates since p2p opening vs. other services updates since p2p opening, you can see that iRO actually moves faster than the other services do. We started last, so we're currently in last place.

iRO's slow bug-fixing activity is due mostly to the high number of user issues, coupled with the fact that until recently Christy was the entire GM team, and one person can only do so much.

MingShun

Posted on 09-02-03 05:36 AMQuote | Edit | Delete
Interesting...how strong do you think Gravity L.L.C's financial situation is? School has started, and many players can't play at this time.

Do you think Gravity will be able to hold out till winter?

--------------------

Suzuran

Posted on 09-02-03 05:59 AMQuote | Edit | Delete
I'm fairly sure they'll make it. They've survived all the other crap so far, I don't see how things can get too much worse. I wasn't given financial information, but considering they are trying to hire more Sub GMs, it can't be too bad.
MingShun

Posted on 09-03-03 12:17 AMQuote | Edit | Delete
That's good to hear. I failed to take into account that Gravity has been hit by alot of problems, yet it still goes on. Thanks for pointing it out

--------------------

Pages: 1 2Next newer thread | Next older thread
Sasami's Ragnarok World Forums (LOCKED) - General Discussion - Why do people insist on stealing from Gravity? |
Edit/move/close/delete thread

Sasami's Ragnarok World

AcmlmBoard v1.7
© 2000-2001 Acmlm

Page rendered in 0.013 seconds.